Chapter 34

Continued from previous chapter....

"Doctor are you going to say anything or not?" Areesha snapped out of impatience at the doctor who was a middle aged guy.

"Who's Areesha?" He asked calmly looking at them as if he was completely undeterred by her rudeness.

"I am." She replied confused at why he was asking this.

"And who are you to the patient?" 

"I'm his wife. Are you going to tell us how he is or not?" She asked nervously as her heart thudded in her chest as she eyed the doctor's expression.

"The first aid given to him saved his life and it prevented excessive blood loss. The bullet didn't each that far in his arm. He is progressing but he keeps saying your name in his sleep. Right now we have shifted him to the ward and he is asleep under the effect of drugs. It would be best that you stay with him first before everyone else goes in. So if you please follow me."

"My son is going to be okay right?" Ammi said from beside them.

"Have faith in Allah. Keep praying for him. Duas do miracles." the doctor said reassuringly.

Areesha followed the doctor muttering duas under her breath and before entering inside she changed into the green hospital dress and wore a mask.

Her heart was beating very fast as she entered the ward. She just hoped she wouldn't burst in tears that were threatening to overcome her. Her heart ached to see him laying on the hospital bed with his arm on his side in a weird position. He wasn't wearing an oxygen mask so his breathing must be fine.

She slowly approached his bed with her heart hammering wildly against her rib cage. She couldn't bear to see him like this. Especially since he had come to this condition saving her from those men. She didn't know when she started crying. Some tears were of happiness that at least he was fine and she hadn't lost him. Some tears were of the helplessness she felt seeing him like this.

She grabbed a chair from the side and sat down next to his bed. She held his hand in hers and was surprised at how cold it was. She rubbed it to transfer some heat to it.

"Fawad please wake up. I can't live without you. Please..." She said in a low voice. She knew he couldn't hear her probably as he was in deep sleep but she was talking to him for her own peace of mind. To assure herself that he was with her. 

"You have to wake up. You can't leave me like this. I love you so much. I have to talk to you about so may things. You can't Fawad... " She couldn't speak further. Her throat constricted and no words came out. She knew he would wake up. He had to. She had faith that Allah would cure him but she couldn't bear to see him like this even for a minute. She rested her head on his hand.

"A-Aree-sha." She suddenly looked up. Fawad's eyes were still closed. She had imagined that probably. Then suddenly she felt movement in his hand.

She looked up startled. Her eyes snapped from his hands to his eyes. Slowly his eyes fluttered open and he blinked a few times trying to adjust to the light.

"F-Fawad?" Areesha's voice was filled with surprise and happiness. She couldn't explain the inexplicable happiness she felt right now. Allah had accepted her prayers. A feeling of joy filled her. This was the moment when she discovered the real meaning of happiness.

A slight smile graced his face and Areesha's eyes filled with tears. Tears of happiness and joy this time. He was awake. Allah had accepted their prayers. Alhumdulilah.

She reached up and kissed his cheek and a tear fell from her eyes on his cheek. She quickly rubbed the tear away.

"Thank God you are alright. I was so scared. Do you need anything? Water? Does your arm hurt?" She said asked him worriedly with her voice still weak with all the happiness.