Doors That Lead Nowhere

Told by BritinyLeBeau

I've lived in the same house for a number of years, actually today (June 11) of this year marks 8 years in this place. When we first moved in everything was fine...up until around the 5th month.

It started out with footsteps, and I don't mean light little things that you just barely hear, they were heavy, almost like someone was wearing steel toed boots with cleats on the bottom. The sound is actually quite terrifying and whatever makes the sound moves with a purpose. It's fast and it actually seems very angry because it basically stomps up two flights of stairs and stops right outside of my room -- my room is on the third floor -- and the footsteps actually shake the whole house.

When this happened the first time, I was alone in the house. I live with four other people and it's a five bedroom duplex. One room is completely avoided and it's the one across from my own. I also know it wasn't our neighbors because they're always gone. So of course I would be alone on the third floor, all three of my sisters have taken turns trying to inhabit the room, they've all left it after the first month. I think the reason I can be okay with having the room across the hall from me is because I've had a good number of experiences and I can handle it better.

The house was built in the late 1800's and was finished by the early 1900's, and both duplexes didn't exist, instead it was one giant house with 8 bedrooms, two full and two half bathrooms, an attic, a basement, and a back yard. I honestly don't know when they converted it into two separate living spaces. Due to this, we literally have doors that lead to nowhere and in the other apartment there's a staircase that leads to nothing but a wall, but if you were to knock that wall down you would end up right outside my bedroom.

The attic seemed to be non existent, meaning we couldn't find it so we just figured my room was the original attic. We were closer to the truth than we would ever know. If you actually looked up the address, the property is still listed as an 8 bedroom with everything I mentioned above.

Things just got weirder and more freaky from there. We would have random things go missing, things like keys all the way up to odd things like a toothbrush. None of these items were found until recently but I'll get there in a moment. Shadows move where they shouldn't, voices come and go, doors randomly open and some of them even close right after being opened. Things get thrown at you and curse words float out at odd, and even inappropriate intervals.

One year on Christmas day, my family went over to my aunt's house for dinner and I stayed behind to do laundry, intending to go over after because she was literally only a few streets away. The basement is a freaky place. Inside it's all brick with a dirt floor and there's a room off to the side that has the main breaker box to control both houses, and a heating tank which was fairly new. We still have grates in our rooms from the older heating system. They don't work anymore but sometimes, in the middle of the night, you'll hear intense whispering coming from them. As a diagnosed insomniac, it makes sleeping even more impossible.

Anyway, I went down there to put my clothes over into the dryer when the footsteps I mentioned before started up, only this time they started from the very top of the house. The sound got louder and louder, and closer and closer. Finally it was over my head in the living room and it just stopped. My heart was beating painfully and my eyes felt hot in my skull, and then CRASH, the footsteps started again and they were coming right to the basement door. I ran to the door that leads to the back yard and pulled it open and waited.

That's when the basement door flew open and the footsteps started to decend the stairs. I could see dirt falling from the stairs but there were no feet or legs or anything. I ran out of the house in the dead of winter, no shoes, no jacket, no nothing. I just ran to my aunt's house. I kept it to myself until my younger sisters left the room so I wouldn't freak them out. My aunt and mom believed me and actually came back to the house with me, leaving my sisters with my cousin. We discovered the thing that fell was the Christmas tree and it looked like it had been destroyed; twigs and pine needles were everywhere.

Fast forward three years and insert me being pushed down the stairs, one of my sisters being slapped in the face hard enough for a hand print to be visible, and the constant footsteps and knocking on doors/doors opening etc.

Remember the attic that nobody could find? Okay well this is where it gets interesting.

My ex boyfriend and still best friend --because we know how to be friends even though the relationship ended on a sour note -- came over with his brother. All three of us were talking when my ex mentioned the happenings in my house to his brother. I mentioned how we could never find the actual attic and I thought my room was the attic at one point. I have a drop ceiling, and if you're not sure what that is, it's an artificial ceiling made out of styrofoam tiles that are meant to cover the original ceiling above it, and the tiles can be lifted and moved easily.

So that's what he did, he started moving the tiles and found a small wooden door in my ceiling. Scary stuff man. We looked and the track to the old pull down stairs, as well as the stairs themselves have long since been removed. We found all of our things that went missing up there. Ever since that discovery, things have been even more active.

I have actual video proof of the door to the room across from me opening. You hear my mom come up the stairs, open and close my door, and about a minute or two minutes after you see the doorknob to the other room turn and then the door swings open. If you message me on Wattpad, (@BritinyLeBeau) I will personally send you the link to the video, as well as send you pictures of the attic we found.

Just a few more things but I'll use simple numbers for this:

1. My niece used to have an "imaginary" friend named Sophie. She used to have full on conversations with her friend, and it's not unnatural for kids to have imaginary friends but this was scary. "Sophie" told my niece that she lives in our basement, that she's only 7 years old, and her mother hurt her. She also said Sophie told her to do mean things to us and to not listen to us because we were all just trying to hurt her. My niece was 4 at this point, she's now 7 herself. Now, when we ask my niece how Sophie is, she gets wide eyed and says she doesn't want to talk about Sophie at all. She'll look at us and straight up say, "Don't talk about her. She will hurt you because I won't play with her anymore..."

2. I have tried time and time again to find the history of this house. I can give you the whole history of my street, including the brothel that is a few houses down and is actually an apartment complex now, as well as why this street used to be called busy corner, but I can find nothing about my own house. I've even paid to have an extensive search done, all records, to my knowledge, are unattainable.

3. I'm writing this by voice command on my phone's keyboard. There is no sound in my room because the voice command is so sensitive and I'm picking up sentences that aren't mine. I could let the keyboard do its thing, but I'm not sure how likely people are to believe them. I'll let it keep two:

"Shut up, stop talking, you're going to make me angry."

"Do you think I could get upstairs without him noticing."

4. The church, all of them that I've gone to, will not help me bless the house.

5. I've contacted a paranormal group to help me figure this out, they too have ignored me upon my request for help, and I really really need it.

 I've contacted a paranormal group to help me figure this out, they too have ignored me upon my request for help, and I really really need it