The Chair

Told by THCandSUNSETS

In late 2013 I decided that I wanted a reading/writing corner on my room. But I'm cheap so I didn't want to go to the store and buy the furniture for hundreds of dollars so I went the yard sale and thrift store route. I found everything I needed, a desk, some nice posters and little reading related trinkets. I found a bookshelf and other essentials too, but I could not find a chair that I liked.

I went to look at several but they were all too basic or too small, not comfortable enough things like that. Then one day I came across a yardsale ad on the internet. Right away I said, "That's the chair". It was big with a high back, curled wooden arms and it was covered in the most perfect ugly cream floral print I'd ever seen. We hopped in the car and went to go take a look. The woman selling the chair was in her 30's maybe, but everything there seemed much older than that, so my mom asked. "How did you come across so many antiques?"

And the woman replied, "They were my grandmother's. She passed away and I can't pay to put everything in storage, so I have to sell some of it."

Anyway, we bought the chair and brought it to our house. I spent hours cleaning it and polishing the arms and legs, marveling at the claw feet. Finally my reading corner was complete. That night I woke up to almost all of my books tossed on the floor. I immediately assumed it was my cat and it probably was -- who knows? Three days later my music started to skip like a scratched CD, which was strange because it was Pandora.

One day, going into the second week of owning the chair, my mom and sisters left to go to the grocery store. I wanted to finish a book I was reading so I stayed. An hour later, as I was sitting in the chair listening to music, I saw something at my bedroom door out of my peripheral vision, but when I looked up it was gone.

It went on like this for about a minute, long enough for me to give up and just brush it off as my mind playing tricks. That is until I blatantly saw a leg step over the threshold of my room, followed by a second. When I looked up I saw an old woman with thin white hair full of pink rollers, and dull blue eyes; her pink robe was worn out and old. The minute our eyes locked she ran toward me with her arms stretched out and that was when I closed my eyes and screamed as loud as I could.

When I opened them she was gone. A few days later we got a call from the seller saying she accidentally sold us the chair. It was her grandmother's favorite as she said, "My mother says my nana loved that chair and would never be able to let it go, so I have to keep it."

"