Chapter Two

Jumoke

Minutes later, we arrived at Crystal High School. The parking lot was filled with cars, and Dad finally found an empty spot and parked.

"We are here." He said, turning off the ignition and taking off his seat belt.

It was my second time seeing this school and it was as though I was seeing it for the first time.

Tunde got out of the car and grabbed his bag pack.
"Hey, sis! Do you want to sleep there? Get down!"

"Come on, Jummy, get going. Have a nice first day at school." Dad said.

I got down from the car and stared at the building. It was painted navy blue with the name of the school boldly written in white.

Students were going in hurriedly. Where were they rushing to?
I checked my wristwatch, it was just 7:16 am.

I turned back and waved at my dad. "Bye, daddy."

"Bye baby. Tunde, take care of your sister. Ma lo gba ballu, sh'oti gbo?"

"Yes, Dad."

Dad started the car and drove out of the lot.

"Oya, let's go, should I hold your hand?" Tunde asked.

"No, I can walk myself. Am I a baby?"

"Whatever."

Together we walked into the school compound. The morning assembly was to start at 7:45 am, so the students were still in their classes.

"Where's your class?" Tunde asked.

"Ss1 A, science department."

"Alright. It's over there." He pointed to the third class on the ground floor in Block 1.
"My class is upstairs..." he continued, pointing at the first class in Block 2.  "If you need anything, just come up. When it's break time, come and collect your money, okay?"

"Okay. Bye." I said as he walked to his block.
I strolled to my class and stood in front, biting my nails. It was a habit I did when I was shy or nervous. I took a deep breath and summoned all courage.

I walked into the class and all eyes were on me. I wished the ground could just open up and swallow me.

"She's new." I heard a voice.

"Wow, the uniform fits her o." I heard another.

I didn't know where to sit, so I sat down on the empty seat I saw. Just then, a girl walked up to me, frowning.

"Hey! Stand up! This is my seat, how will just come and seat here without asking? Abeg, stand up."

What a mean bitch!
I stood up without apologizing. Why should I?

"Hey, there's an empty seat beside me, come and sit down."A girl waved at me with an angelic smile.
I went to the seat and dropped my bag on the table.
"Thank you,"  I said shyly.

"You're welcome, dear. Good morning, I'm Chioma, and you?"

"Jumoke, but you can call me Jummy."

"Nice to meet you, Jummy," She smiled again.

What a sweetheart!

"The bell will soon be rung for assembly, in the meantime, put your bag inside the locker and padlock it, there is a small padlock in here". She opened the locker and brought out a small padlock.

"Thank you." I put my bag inside, padlocked the locker, and kept the key in my pocket.

"So, which school were you attending before?" Chioma asked.

"Royalty secondary school." I answered, "what about you?"

"I started here, from JSS1. All most everybody here did".

We chatted for a while till the bell was rung for morning assembly. The students rushed out of their classes.

Why were they all running like Usain Bolt?