Chapter Six

Jerome

I finally met her.

The girl Bayo had been telling me about while I was away. I traveled to Edo state for my paternal grandpa's funeral. When I returned, I couldn't go to school because I was bitten by sun flies and mosquitoes. I stayed at home till the bites were cleared.

Being the most handsome guy and MVP, the girls wouldn't let me rest when I got to school this morning.

Bayo said the girl was new and very pretty.
I didn't expect her to be this pretty. She was an epitome of pulchritude.
I couldn't stop staring at her eyes. I was drowning in those captivating pool of chocolate brown eyes.
Her physique was okay, totally okay. Tall and slim.

She was the same girl I bumped into in the morning. I didn't know she was Jumoke until Bayo told me while we were marching in after the assembly.

I know I was so rude and she already has a bad impression of me. But who cares?

I'm Jerome Osaze Jordan. I don't give a damn.

"Jerome, how far na? Where did you go?" Bayo questioned immediately I entered the class.

"To submit my assignment. Guys, we have practice after school o, don't go home."

"Have you told the guys in Arts and Science class?" Bayo asked.

"Nope....I'll tell them later. Let's go to the cafeteria abeg. I'm hungry," I stood up and locked my locker.

"Hey Jerome," I heard my name and looked up. This girl again, I don't have time for this Linda or whatever her name is. I can't keep up with their names, the girls are just too many.

"What's up?" I muttered, not interested in her reply at all.

"Let's go out for break together." she said, batting her short, scattered eyelashes.

"Sorry, I'm going out with my guys. Some other time."

"Why haven't you been in school. I missed you oh". She continued.
Does this girl know the word 'quit'?

"I traveled."

"What did you bring for me?"

Linda, free me.

"Jerome, let's go!" Bayo called.
Thanks man.

"Gotta go....later." I jogged to catch up with Bayo and my friends.

"Let's go to science class to tell the boys," Lolade suggested.

"So that you can see Chioma? I like your style." Clinton joked.

"So you're still mad over that girl. Ask her out then. You've been crushing on her since junior school. Should I teach you the tricks?" I teased.

We got into the science class. I entered first and all eyes were on me.

Lord, help me.

"OMG! Jerome!!" Elizabeth squealed, she ran to me and hugged to me so tight.
I could feel her things pressing my chest and honestly speaking, I hated it. It was like two rocks were on my chest.

"Hi," I muttered. I loosened from her tight hug and faced the class, scanning for the rest of the team, literally ignoring the cockroach beside me.

"Elizabeth, remember Mr Jones said you should come for your punishment."
That was Kunle...my guy. Savage guy.

"Shut up," Elizabeth eyed him from head to toe.

"Kay, we have practice after school. Please tell the rest".

"Aye aye captain." Kunle saluted.

I scanned the remaining faces but couldn't find Jumoke. Maybe she went out. What's my business anyway?

"Liz, I'll see you later." I removed her hand from my arm and walked out, not missing the laughter from the guys in the class.

Jumoke

"That guy is indubitably the most annoying human on earth. He is the most pugnacious idiot I know. Can you imagine he called me...me...Jumoke Oluwafunmilola Adeola, a pepper seller."

I kept ranting and ranting till Chioma and Sandra got tired and continued eating their food in silence, literally ignoring me.

When I told them about it, they laughed like mad girls but kept mute when I kept on ranting.

We decided to eat at the cafeteria instead of buying our usual snacks and taking it to class to eat them.
The cafeteria was arranged with tables and chairs, like those table dinners in parties. Four people could seat in a table, there were two chairs on both sides of the table.

Sandra and Chioma were sitting on the two chairs opposite me, while I sat on the other side, an empty chair besides me and backing the entrance. I couldn't see who walked in unless I look back.

"The next time he talks to me like that, I'll kick him where the sun doesn't shine. So you guys are just gonna keep mute like that?"  I was frustrated.

"We were trained not to talk while eating," Sandra replied.

"Jummy, like Jerome said, you actually need to take a chill pill. Girl, you're so hot, chill .....life is too short to be vexing every time. Besides, the Jerome we know is not who you are talking about. He is nice and friendly but sometimes sarcastic. Maybe he was in a bad mood when he saw you. Don't let me choke on my food, please." Chioma said, grabbing her bottled water, gulping down water from the bottle.

"Or maybe the sight of you infuriated him," Sandra added.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

"You just met him today and you are already talking much about him. Hmm....I smell something," Sandra said, wiggling her brows and smiling.

"May God block that nose for you," I retorted.

"Stop acting like a bitch." Chioma said, dabbing the corners of her lip with her handkerchief.

"When did this bush girl start acting posh?" I asked.

"Oh baby, we are in a posh school. What do you expect?" she replied-asked.

"Speak of the devil," Sandra pointed, causing me to look back.

Jerome was walking in company of two boys. They approached us with their eyes stuck on me, except one who was busy staring intensely at Chioma.

They took the table besides ours.

"What's up girls?" Jerome asked.

I was very sure I was not included in the 'girls'.

They replied him and they started talking, Jerome saying funny things to which they laughed to stupidly.
To be honest, his jokes are dry.

"So, this mean newbie is your friend?" He asked, finally looking at me. "How do you cope with her?" He added.

"Jerome, one more word from you and I'll stick this spoon through your nostril to your oesophagus."