Chapter Forty

Jumoke

"Jumoke.... Jumoke!" I heard my Dad call from outside my room.

I hate being called out of sleep. Do people know that it triggers the brain?

"Sir," I replied.

"Get up and prepare for church."

"OK sir."

I heard him walk away, probably to my brother's room. I checked my alarm clock which read 4:45am. He didn't even wait for my clock to ring at five.

The church we attended was situated in Lekki, so we had to leave on time to get to church early cos I'm in the teenager choir and Tunde is our drummer.

I brushed my teeth and took a long warm bath as usual.

I brought out the gown I would be wearing. It was a knee length red gown that had silver glitters in the upper body region.

I applied body lotion before wearing the gown. I took my make up kit and started my business. I drew an almost perfect curved brows, then applied concealers on them, at the end of it all, I did a nude make up.

I slipped into the nude heels my mom just bought for me and then took my nude hand bag.

I tied my black turban to cover my hair.

I unplugged my phone from the socket and put it in my hand bag.

I went downstairs to join my siblings on the dinning table.

"Shey you want to kill all the boys in the church ni?" Tunde asked as he scanned me. "You'll not allow them to hear the word of God."

"If that's your way of saying I look awesome, then, thank you."

He rolled his eyes. "We are going to church not red carpet."

"Whatever."

"Aunty Jummy, your dress is very beautiful". Titi said.

"Thanks baby."

"I pray you fall in those heels," Tunde muttered before he gulped down water.

It was then I noticed his dressing.
"See who's talking about over dressing."

"I'm only wearing suit," he said in a duh tone.

"...That's smashing."

"Today is thanksgiving Sunday, everybody has to be beautifully dressed," Titi gave us a duh face.

___________

We were in the car, already approaching Lekki.

My mum turned back and looked at all three of us with a smile.

"My babies are looking cute. You guys should sit in the front seat so everybody will see how wonderful you look."

"Just tell them to sit on the alter so that everybody will see very well," Dad chipped in and mum smacked his arm making us to laugh.

"Remind me to take a family picture. Jummy you'll do my make up for me next Sunday, I love this nude make up."

"Thanks mum."

Tunde tched beside me and mom and I glared at him.

"What? Mum...she looks like bobrisky...please don't sit close to me in church."

"Tunde don't be mean," mum cautioned.

"Mummy, don't mind him. He's jealous because Jummy is finer than him. Instead of you to be happy that your sister is a fine girl. You're not a good brother,"  Titi gave him a disapproving look and Tunde gave her a slight glare and she sunk into her seat.