Chapter Nineteen

Jerome

I had finished the morning paper which was Mathematics and we had Book keeping in the afternoon. I was one of the first five to finish, since I was very good at maths, in fact the best in the class, not to brag though. Some people were still in the class, battling with the questions.

Some of the science students were out of their class, I could see them because their class was two classes away from ours. Still standing in front of my class, I searched for Jumoke but I couldn't find her.

"Please, move away from the window. Don't disturb others that are still writing,"  the invigilator, Mr Alfred instructed.

I slung my bag over my shoulder. I didn't bring my normal school bag, instead I brought my small HP bag pack. Who doesn't  bring small bag to school during exams?

The rest of my friends were still in the exam hall, so I was left alone to stroll.

".......But that Elizabeth is wicked! How could she do something like that?" I heard a group of girls gossiping.

Which Elizabeth were they talking about and what did she do?
My curiosity prompted me to investigate the issue.

Hands in my  pockets, I walked slowly but jauntily to science class and saw Elizabeth kneeling down and the invigilator was talking to Jumoke. What could have happened?

The invigilator gave Jummy her paper and she sat down and thanked him.
The invigilator, Mr Popoola was talking sternly to Liz who kept looking down with an arrogant scowl while still on her kneels.

"Please, excuse me," I turned to a girl beside me.

From the look on her face, she was surprised I was talking to her. I don't really talk to just anybody, I was quite picky with friends but my curiosity had the best of me today.

"Please, what's going on?" I pointed to the Liz.

"Errrm...actually....," the girl was trying to form voice and accent too. Why won't she form? When the finest boy in school is talking to her. Yeah, I know I'm cute. I don't need anyone to tell me.

"Actually, Liz tried to implicate Jummy by putting a paper filled with answers and formulas beside her but luckily, one guy caught her and explained the whole situation and Jummy's name was cleared out." She spoke eloquently.

How bitchy can the bitch be?
I knew Liz was a bitch,I never knew she was bitchier than I thought.
A bitchy bitch deserves a bitch-slap.

"Thanks for the info." I smiled at her, although it didn't reach my eyes, but it wasn't a fake one.

I turned around to walk away and I sighted my worst nightmare. Jessica.

She was standing in front of her exam hall, which was art class.

She was smiling and waving at me.

I wanted to turn around and run away. Far from her.
Yes, she was that repulsive.

I wonder what I saw in her that made me date her.

I decided not to run and just continue walking.
Then she walked to my class and waited patiently for me to come.

"Hey," she said and lifted her hand to touch my shoulder but I was quick enough to move back.
Everything about her was disgusting, even her touch.

"Awww...Scared that my touch will give you shocks and goosebumps just like before," she touched her chest like she was touched by my gesture.

"What do you want?" I asked her.

"No good morning,did you eat this morning, how was your night, how was your exam? Like you used to ask before."

"That was before Jessie. Things changed."

"Awww...you still call me by my nickname. How sweet!"

"Look, I don't have time for your obnoxious pestering. I would rather chew grasses than listen to the shit that comes out from your mouth."

She feigned hurt. Although, she was truly hurt but she would never show it.

"Aren't you the sweetest guy in the world? Anyways, I heard about  what happened to that Jumoke of a girl.  The bitch deserves it anyways."

"What did you say?" I turned red immediately and she moved back.
She knew how bad my temper was.

Nobody....I repeat....Nobody calls my girl a bitch.

"N..nothing."

"Better. If you would excuse me, I've got much better things to do."

"Jay, wait. Can we at least be friends? I don't like it when you treat me like this"."

"Friends? With this type of attitude you've got? I doubt it."

"But......" she was about to talk when Bayo called me. Thanks man.

"Gotta go." I jogged off.

🌼🌼🌼

We were all through with our papers for today and we were heading home.

I went to look for Jummy in her class but they said she had already gone home. I saw Elizabeth putting her books angrily in her bag.

"Elizabeth." I called when I was already in front of her.

She looked up and the frown disappeared.

"Hey, Jay....."

"Hold it. Why did you do that?"

"Do what?" she asked.

"Don't play games with me, I'm in no mood for that. Why did you do it for the last time?"

"Emm...I can...I can explain."

"Oya. Start explaining". I sat on the desk with one of my legs on the chair and crossed my arms.

"I.....I.....emm....sheeee...she..she..." She stuttered.

"Hey, I speak English, not gibberish."

"She....."

I stood up. "Somebody asked you to do it?"

She kept mute.

"Answer me!" I barked.

"Yes," she moved back.

"Who?"!!

"She said I shouldn't say anything. Please don't force me to say it, I beg you."

"Look, if you tell me who sent you, I can help reduce your punishment and get you of this mess."

"She said she would deal with me if I talk," she whimpered.

"She won't do anything, I promise."

"It was...."

"It was who?"

"Jessica."

I knew it!