Chapter Sixteen

Jerome

  The remaining parts of the week passed in a blur and it was finally Saturday, the day I've been anticipating.

  Jumoke finally agreed to go out with me after much begging.
I woke up early for the first time on a Saturday at 7:00am. I had nothing to do so I just lay with my back on the bed, staring at ceiling and wondering what our 'date' would be like.

  A date - is it even a date?- at ICM (Ikeja City Mall) would be very wonderful. I imagined how she would look like in mufti. I don't think I've ever seen her with normal clothes on.

  By the time I was done with my imaginations,the time was already 8:00am. So, I used one hour to imagine? Great.

  I stood up from the bed and stretched my arms high above my head. I opened the curtains and the morning rays greeted me.
It's going be a wonderful day, I thought to myself.

"Jay!" my mum called from the living room.

  I put on my fluffy slippers and headed downstairs. I saw my mom setting the dining table, she placed a tray with a plate of moimoi on it and a plate of  hot, steaming pap. I was already beginning to salivate. Moimoi and  pap on a Saturday morning is the best.

  I was surprised that mum called me down to have the breakfast she served. I was more surprised seeing her at home on a Saturday.

"Good morning mom," greeted nonetheless.

"Good morning dear. Come and have breakfast."

  I realized I was still on the stairs. I descended the stairs and walked to the dinning table. I pulled out a chair opposite my mum and sat down, staring at my mum suspiciously.

"Mum....," I called.

"Yes, dear? she looked at me with a questioning look.

"Did you prepare this yourself?" I pointed to the delicacies before me.

"Yeah. Any problem?" She raised her brow.

"No," I muttered and took my spoon to begin my feast. I put some sugar in the pap and stirred it.
I could feel my mum's stare on me,then later I felt her hands on mine and I looked up to see a sad looking mum.

"Is anything the matter, mum?" I quizzed.

  She sighed. "Son, I know I haven't been a good mum to you. I know I've never had time for you because of my tight schedules. I know you've been lonely in the house because no one is with you at home aside from the maids.......," she paused and I stared at her, not knowing what to say.

  She continued, "I didn't know how lonely and sad you felt till your nanny told me about," she held my two hands, "I'm so sorry for neglecting you. I never knew how hurt you were, I never knew you longed for me to be at home and tell me about your crushes. I'm sorry for putting work first before you. I'm so sorry, my dear. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. I promise I'll always make time for you." She caressed my cheek in a motherly manner.

   I was overwhelmed. I didn't know what to say.  I stood up and walked over to my mum and hugged her. I miss those hugs.

She rubbed my back lovingly.

"I forgive you mum. I had no grudge before."

"Thank you dear. Now, go over and eat your food before it gets cold."

I walked to my seat and sat down to eat.

I was half way done when mum started a conversation.

"So tell me dear, do you have a girlfriend?" she asked with a teasing smile.