Chapter Sixty

Jumoke

I couldn't sleep.
No matter how hard I tried to, sleep wasn't forthcoming. I was supposed to be well rested before an important examination like this, but anxiety wouldn't let me.

I woke before my vexatious alarm clock. I hadn't done morning prayers in a while because of the rush, but today, I did.

I need God to answer me when I look up to him in the examination hall.

I brushed my teeth and took a quick bath, just water.

What?
I bathed with soap and sponge before I slept, I didn't run a marathon in my sleep.

"Jumoke. I suppose you're awake." I heard Dad's voice from the other side.

"Yes, Dad."

"Go through your data processing note one more time." He instructed and I heard him walk away.

I went to my reading table and opened my data processing textbook.

Did I mention that my phone and all electronic gadgets have been seized?
Well, now you know.

I finished reviewing in fifteen minutes and went downstairs to have breakfast. Bread, peanut butter and a very hot cup of tea.

Dad drove me to school and wished me good luck when he dropped me and then drove off, not without giving me extra cash.

The time was 6:53am and the exam was start by 9:00am, African time.
Y'know what I mean.

Students and acting prefects were already in school.

These acting prefects are sure doing a great job.

Surprisingly again, there were people in my exam room already.
Most of them were science students.

I greeted some of them and went to my seat. I dusted my chair before I sat down. I brought out my Data Processing textbook and started reading again.

The hall was becoming full, it wasn't long before Chioma and Kunle walked in.

We exchanged pleasantries and they joined me in reading.
Later, the bell rang for assembly time.

"Let's take a break, my braining is paining me." I groaned.

Kunle laughed and stood up. "See ya later." He walked out of his class.

Chioma brought out a big pack of potato chips. "You care for some?" She offered.

"Sure."

We ate the potato chips together before we went out to the corridor to watch the assembly before the invigilator arrived.

****

"Take your bags outside!" Mr Jones instructed.

The invigilator was a woman with a very strict face. She carry a sack-like bag that was padlocked.

"You people should not waste my time o." She said with a thick Igbo accent.

I hung my ID card on my neck and took my calculator before I took my bag outside.

"Make sure there's no book in your locker. Take out everything that can implicate you." Mr Jones warned.

Everybody's bags were outside and we were all settled down. Only science students were in the hall cos only science students offered DP.  We were all in same hall, the science students in other rooms came to join us in Rm1.

The woman started giving out the OMR form. (shading sheet)

"Don't start yet." The invigilator instructed.