Chapter Fifty

Jumoke

The bell went for assembly. I raised my head from the desk and stood up. I straightened my skirt and adjusted my tie.

Yesterday night, I had a bad headache, it was like there was a party in my head. Later, my temperature started increasing and I started shivering.

Malaria came to pay me a visit.

My mum said I shouldn't go to school but I don't like missing school. She made me promise that if it gets worse, I'll stay at home tomorrow.

The assembly was short.....Thank God. I was already weak and I couldn't stand any longer.

I saw Jerome at the end of the boys line.

We marched into our class. I was on the stairs when I heard my name.

"Good morning, princess." Jerome beamed at me. His happy mood contrasted my surly mood.

"Good morning." I muttered.
Although I was happy to see him but....Malaria is a bitch.

We had reached the hallways already.

"What's up with you? You don't look like my Jumoke. Are you sick?" He touched my neck with the back of his hand and removed it immediately and in an exaggerated manner. "Your body is so hot, I can fry eggs on them."

"Very funny."

"Seriously, you aren't supposed to be in school. Can you walk well? Are you feeling dizzy? Should I carry to your class?"

"Jerome, it's Malaria not Ebola. I'm fine, I can manage."

"If you get worse, make sure you go to the sick bay, okay?"

"Yes father."

"No, I prefer husband." He winked.

"You wish. See you later." I waved at him and entered my class.

The class was really noisy cos people who didn't resume yesterday were chatting with their friends.

I noticed we had some new students and I didn't see some old students too.

"Chichi. Good morning." I greeted Chioma.

"Jum Jum. How are you? Wait....you aren't looking so well. Are you sick?"

"Is that obvious? I'm not feeling too well.....malaria." I sat down on my cleaned seat.

"Hen hen." Chioma teased as Henry entered the class.

He groaned when he saw Chioma. "Stop calling me that stupid name."

"Hen hen." She teased again.

"Whatever." He waved his hands in a dismissive manner and faced me with a smile. "How are you? Why are you looking like a pregnant woman?" He marred his brows.

I smacked his arm. "It's just small tiny malaria."

"Small malaria? And you're looking like someone that came from sambisa forest."

"Ahn ahn.....you're wicked!" I smacked his arm again, this time it was more painful.

"Ouch." He rubbed the spot I hit.
"Joke apart, you're looking sick and your eyes are a bit red. Are you sure you won't faint? Cos I don't have strength to carry you o."

"Duh. She has other people that'll carry her like Jerome....you're not the only guy in her life." Chioma said absent-mindedly, looking for something in her bag, when she realized that she went too deep, she looked up at Henry with a funny face.