Chapter Thirty eight

Jerome

"I'm going to ask Chioma out tomorrow," Lolade announced.

"Where did you buy so much courage from? Are they expensive?" Bayo asked sarcastically and we gave him the 'disapproval' look.

"Guy, don't start sass with me. I might punch you in the brain."

"I'm scared." Sarcasm again.

"I really think dating is a waste of time. I would rather chew grass then ask a girl out...what if she says no? It's just bullshit."  Clinton chipped in.

"That's because you haven't met a girl that will drive you nuts. Sometimes, I wonder if you have a heart.....you're so out of this planet," Bayo said, shaking his head.

"I have a heart. It just isn't meant for girls, it's meant for pumping blood." Clinton defended.

"Would you four boys care to tell me what you're talking about over there?" The new English language teacher with a British accent asked.

Mrs Mullins, who was obviously from Britain was employed last week to replace our former teacher who resigned.
She's a bit slim, her skin is too white, she wears glasses that's perched at the bridge of her nose and she likes wearing suit.

"I asked a question and I haven't gotten my answer yet."

"Nothing ma'am."  I spoke up.

"Well, I would rather you all kept quiet and not disturb my class, are we clear?"

Did I mention that she's really nice?
And I love her British accent. I love anything that has to do with Britain.

*********

*Closing time*

"Hey, Jummy, what's up?"

"I'm good."

"Where's Chioma?"

"She didn't come to school today."

"What about Henry?"

"You care?" She cocked a brow.

"No, I don't....seriously,I really don't."

"Whatever sha. He went to his mom's office."

"Remember, I told you on WhatsApp that you'll be coming to my house today," I reminded her.

"Oh you did? What did I say?" She acted surprised.

"Stop it."  I warned with a stern face.

"Okay, fine. Are you going now?"

"Yeah,my driver is here. Let's go."

We walked to the car and I opened the door for her. She greeted Mr John and he replied her warmly.

The drive to my house was comfortably silent. She was doing her homework while I was with my phone.

When we reached my estate gate, she stopped writing and put her books in her bag.

*********

Jumoke

"Wow. This place is really nice."

The houses were similar. They were painted dark shade of green with black roofs.

The roads were tarred with cement colored bricks. Each house had two dumpsters beside the gutter and flowers were planted in the flower bed just in front of the fence.

Soon, we reached Jerome's house. The walls were covered with artificial grass with red flowers and barbed wires at the top.

The driver honked and the security guard opened the gates. He parked the car and we got down.