Chapter Twenty four

Jerome

"Have you seen that new guy?" Bayo asked.

That new guy, that new guy. Can someone just gimme a break for God's sake?

It's been one week after resumption and everybody, especially girls had been talking about this new guy. What's his name again? Jake or Samuel? Whatever, I don't care.

The guy better not be fine.

"I haven't seen him. What's his name?"I asked. His name better not be fine too.

"Henry," Bayo answered.

Oh, so it's Henry. Whatever.

"I heard He and Jumoke are close," Clinton chipped in.

Ehn! Is it my own Jumoke they are talking about or another one?

"How close?" I asked with a frown.

"Really close."

"How really close?" I asked again.

"See, close is close. They are close, period! Which one is how really close?"

"They better not be too close."

"Don't worry, he won't steal your babe," Lolade patted my shoulder.

"Wait, I thought you are avoiding her?"Clinton asked.

"Y..yeah, BUT that doesn't mean she should go around being too close to other boys."

"Oh, so she should sit down and avoid every other guy and wait for you abi?"  Clinton asked.

"Exactly." I replied.

"Guy, you're crazy." Clinton said.

"Whatever. He better not make any move on her or else I'll show him that I'm Jerome Jordan."

"Na you sabi,"

"Let's go for break, I'm damn hungry," Clinton suggested.

"You just ate two packs of Plantain chips, I swear down, there's hole in your stomach." Lolade hit his stomach.

"There's no hole, I just have a very good appetite."

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

We walked into cafeteria and the first thing I saw was Jumoke with one guy like that.

"Let's sit down with Jumoke," Lolade suggested. He only said that because Chioma was there too.

Jumoke greeted my friends except me.

"So, Jerome, this is Henry and Henry, this is Jerome,our fine boy." Chioma introduced.

So, this is Henry. What the hell! The guy is cute....why?

We just looked at each other,our eyes did the talking. The guy stared hard at me, almost a glare. He scrutinized me  like I was piece of meat an African woman wanted to buy.

He finally stretched his hand for an handshake. "Nice to meet you, Jerome."

I stared at his outstretched arm, checking if he probably fixed a needle or any spiky thing in his hand. What? I'm just being careful.

I took his hand. "Nice to meet you too."

Then we continued our staring-hard competition before Jummy cleared her throat.

"So, Jumoke....what flavour of ice cream did you say you want?" Henry asked.

Oh... so, he's buying her ice cream now?
I was the one who usually buy her ice cream, but now she's got a replacement. No problem.

"Umm.....strawberry flavor."

"Okay, so we would branch at that ice cream when we're going home."

Oh, so they branch at places and go home together? We used to walk home together, she's found a replacement.

Please, can someone tell me why my fist hasn't connected with this guy's jaw?

Lemme just keep my cool.

So, that chatted animatedly, totally ignoring my presence. Lolade chatted with Chioma. Clinton and Bayo didn't talk much. Clinton just kept eating like there was no tomorrow.

One of our bro codes is that when a guy in the group doesn't like a guy, the other guys don't like him too.

The way they chatted, like they knew each other before. There's something I don't know.

Staring at the guy talking with Jumoke aggravated me. Who does he think he is? How dare he talk to Jumoke when I'm fighting with her?

I watched Jumoke. She was enjoying torturing me. She knew very well I hated when she talked to other guys like this. She totally ignored my presence,she might have even forgotten I'm still sitting down with them.

Chioma noticed that I was not comfortable and she tried to make me join their conversation. Note the word tried.

I wasn't in the mood for merry chats knowing that this twit is here with us.

Can't this guy just fuck off?

Where's this time keeper? When I really need him to ring the bell for the break over, he has suddenly disappeared.

When the bell is rung, this mother fucker can now go to his class. Wait, hope they are not in the same class?

"Are you guys in the same class?" I whispered to Chioma who was sitting close to me.

"Yes," she replied.

Oh, kill me.

That means he would be seeing her everyday and they'll be talking everyday.

Hope they aren't sitting together?

The bell finally rang for break over. Finally! Someone remind me to give that timekeeper a very hard knock.

I stood up and dragged Jumoke out of the cafeteria. They all just stared at me.

"Where are you taking her?" Henry questioned.

"None of your business."

I dragged her outside and she pushed me and adjusted her uniform.

"Why did you do that?"

"Go straight to your class. The break is over."

"Who the hell are you to boss me around?" She narrowed her eyes.

"Who the hell am I? I see you've found a replacement. Very well done, Jummy. You deserve some accolades."

"Why, thank you very much." Note the sarcasm.

"Don't thank you me. Make sure you're not too close to that guy or else I'll deal with him."

"You're impossible."

"You're impossible too."

Then we went in opposite directions.

Remind me to deal with that jerk. That guy doesn't know who he's messing with.