Chapter Fifty nine

Jumoke

Two weeks later, JAMB results came out and I got 286. Everybody had high scores and the Principal was so proud of us.
Jerome got 289, Henry got 283 and, Kunle got 281 Chioma got 279.

WAEC was commencing next week and everybody became super serious. We're talking about WAEC here.

The teachers were putting more effort in their teachings. Morning, evening and Saturday classes were still on and one more hour was added to the teaching times. We were excused from our prefect duties and acting prefects from Ss2 took over.

The first subject we had was Data processing.

We were having Physics and the class was so boring. He was teaching a topic from Ss1 that I already studied well. The bell rang for change of subject and the man left immediately, as if he knew we weren't enjoying the class.

It took a little while before the next teacher came in.

"Bring out your past questions." The Civic Education teacher instructed. We brought our past questions as instructed and she told us the year we should open.

Forty minutes later, the bell went for break and she left.

All these teachings made me famished. I didn't feel like staying in the cafeteria today.

"Let's go to Jerome's class." Chioma suggested.

"So you can see Lolade, abi?" I teased, even though I wanted to see Jerome too, but I didn't want to appear desperate and clingy.

"Like you don't want to see Jerome too." She rolled her eyes playfully.

"Whatever."

We went to his class and I peeped and saw Jerome laughing with his friends. Chioma walked past me while I was busy peeping.

"Someone's sure excited to see her boyfriend." I said in a singsong tone. She turned back and glared at me and I stuck out my tongue to her.

"Jerome....your babe is here." Someone said and noise erupted, the boys contributed eighty percent to the noise.

Jerome grinned and gestured for me to come sit beside him. I sag down and he put his hand over my shoulder and pinched my cheek. "Did you miss my face that badly that you had to come to my class?" He smirked.

"Get over yourself." I removed his hand from my shoulder in feigned anger.

"I'm sorry na." He pouted and put his hand back.

I greeted Clinton and Lolade. Bayo wasn't in the class, they said they forced and threatened him to get their snacks.

Later, Bayo came back and dropped their snacks on the table. "I'll get back at you guys.....I swear!" The boys laughed hard, Chioma and I gave them disapproving looks.

"Do you know what I went through getting these snacks?"

They continued laughing, I had to knock Jerome on the head.

"Ouch!" He yelped. "What was that for?"

"Why did you guys do that to him?" I asked.

"Cos he has done it to each one of us before, so it's his turn." Lolade replied.

"That's not fair." Chioma scolded.

"Life isn't fair." Jerome defended.

"Touché." Clinton said.

Spending time in Jerome's class was quite fun till the bell for break over ruined the fun.

We went back to our class and prepared for the next class."

*********

WAEC is starting tomorrow!

That was what kept ringing in my head.
I got to school extra early today even though we were off prefect duties.

Surprisingly, a lot of people came early today. It wasn't like the exams were starting today but ninety percent of Ss3 students were in school before 7:30am.

We Ss3s didn't join the assembly anymore, the principal said we should spend the time solving past questions.
So when assembly was going on, we stayed in our classes, solving past questions.

In our class, everybody was so engrossed in their past questions.
The principal appeared at the door with both hands behind him and nodded in satisfaction.

We gon' make you proud, old man.

We weren't going to have lectures today, so even after the assembly was over, we continued reading till our brains were jampacked.

The time was so slow, it took ages for break time to come and when it finally did, I put my books away and put my head on the table.

Reading is hard man!

"Yo.....Everybody outside!" Mr Jones instructed. "Take your bags with you. Take everything out of your locker."

We did as instructed. All other Ss3s stood in the corridors.
You guessed right, they were going go give us our ID cards, KAPEK calculators and rearrange us according to our WAEC number.

Mr Jones, Corper Ifeanyi, Corper Ehis and Corper Raymond helped in writing numbers on the tables.

"Ss3A, gather here." Our class teacher instructed. Some boys dropped a carton wrapped with brown paper on the floor and left.

She opened a bag and started sharing the WAEC ID cards. She finally gave me mine and there was only one word for the passport on it.....awful!

My exam number was 4230395020, meaning my seat number was 020.

When everyone had gotten their ID cards, she opened the carton and started giving out the calculators.

"So you can go find your seats and settle down." She said and left.

"Chioma what's your seats your number?"

"045...yours?"

"020....we might be in the same hall."

"Yo girls!" Henry put each of his hands on each of our shoulders.

"What's your seat number?" Chioma asked.

"Uh....hello to you too." He rolled his eyes.

"Seriously, what's your seat number?" I asked.

"099. Let's go look for our seats."

Chioma and I were in Room one and Henry was in Room 3

"Yo babes!" Jerome hollered.

"What's with everyone saying yo?"

"What room are you?" He asked, ignoring my question.

"Room 1...you?"

"Room 2. Not so far from you, we can be together forever." He tried to hug me.

"Get your hands off me." I said with a stern face and he did immediately.

"Uh....I'm right here." Chioma said, reminding Jerome of her presence.

"Oh, Chichim baby, I didn't see you there. See you later, girls." He winked.

"Sod off."

Everyone went into their halls and settled down.
When it was two o'clock, Ss3s were asked to go home and prepare for tomorrow.... The big day.