Chapter Forty four

JUMOKE

Today's Wednesday.

I love Wednesdays because it's P.E day. On Wednesdays, we wear our sports wears instead of our uniforms.

I took my bath and wore my sports wear which is yellow joggers with streaks of white at both sides and a yellow polo shirt. I put on my white Nike trainers and took my school bag.

Downstairs, I saw Tunde coming out of the kitchen with a mug, still in his maroon pajamas.

"Ain't you going to school?" I asked.

"Good morning to you too. My night was fine, thanks for asking."

I rolled my eyes at his sarcastic response.

"It's too early to be sarcastic. Anyways, good morning. Aren't you going to school?"

"I'm going late, my paper is in the afternoon," he replied before he sipped out of the mug.

"Have Mom and Titi gone?" I asked.

"No, they're right behind you."

I looked back and realized he was being sarcastic again.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I hate you."

"The feeling is mutual," he shrugged and sipped again, "Now run along, young lass or you might be late," he spoke with a British accent and I knew he was trying to mimic Mrs Mullins.

"I haven't eaten my breakfast."

"Yeah, about that, I wasn't okay with mine so I ate yours."

"WHAT?!" I barked.

"Chill. I'll pay you jare."

I stretched my hand and pouted. He dropped a five hundred naira note on my hand.

"You're giving me two hundred naira change," he said.

"Which change?"

"But the food was small na."

"So? Who asked you to eat it? See you later, big bro."

I stuck out my tongue at him before leaving.

______________

The assembly was still going on. We, prefects, were standing behind, organizing the lines and directing the students to the lines.

Everybody, teachers inclusive, was dressed in their sport wears as usual. The different colours of sport wears on the assembly group was like a Picasso.

Jerome hadn't arrived yet. I kept checking for him every now and then. I wonder why he's late, he's never late to school.

Henry was outside, along with some other prefects. They were making sure the students are neat and properly dressed before they come to the assembly ground.

Minutes later, I saw Jerome jogging in his yellow sportswear  to the assembly ground. He joined us where we stood and people greeted them, I couldn't because he was somewhat far from me.

The Principal climbed the podium and the assembly ground because as silent as a graveyard.

"Good morning students."

"Good morning sir," we greeted in unison.

"How was your night?"
Like he cared.

"Fine, thank you sir."

"As you all know, the term is coming to an end very soon. Start preparing now. Don't start reading when the exam comes. For those of you going for English Language competition next term, hope you're prepared. During break, I want to see the twelve of you in my office so that Mrs Mullins can tell you about the competition. Stay in your classes, I don't want to see anyone roaming the hallways, is that clear?"

"Yes sir."

"Good. Ss1 give us a marching song."

________________

Once we got into our class, we took our bags and rushed to chemistry lab.

Our teacher, Mr Jones was already seated on the podium in front of the white board, reading his textbook.

"Settle down quietly," he instructed.

We did the opposite, arranging our stools caused noise and people were fighting over stools.

"I said settle down quietly!!" He barked, startling all of us and the whole class fell into a pin drop silence.

"Now bring out the homework I gave you. If you haven't done it, just stand up and bring yourself outside before I get to you. I give you ten seconds to come outside now cos if I find you myself, it'll be brutal."

I brought out my book from my bag and I immediately checked. I was relieved to see that I did the homework.

When nobody stood up, he started counting, "One.......two....."

People started coming out one by one. I feared for them cos I know how painful Mr Jones flogs are, I've felt it before.

The thing about Mr Jones is that whether you get the answer right or not, it doesn't matter, as far as you attempted it, so even when a lot of us failed it, he didn't get angry. I failed mine too.

"I noticed a lot of you are still battling with balancing equation, that's why most of you failed it. So, today, we're going back to balancing equation," he turned to the people that didn't do the homework, "I don't know what to do with you guys. I will pardon you for today, but next time, if you have two heads, don't do your homework. Go back to your seats."

"Thank you sir."

He turned to the board and wrote the subject. He started balancing some equations and he gave us one to try.

We continued solving questions on balancing equation before the bell went for change of subject.

______________

So, we went to the cafeteria after we came from the Principal's office.

While we were coming to the cafeteria, Henry had his hands in his joggers pocket, so lost in thoughts.

"Henry.......Are you alright?" I asked but he didn't reply, I had to tap him to get his attention.

"Yes?"

"Are you alright?"

"Um...yes...yes....I'm alright."

"But you seem so lost in thoughts, so out of this planet."

"I'm okay, it's nothing." He sighed.

"You can tell me anything," I told him.

He sighed again. "It's my parents.."

"What happened to them?"

"They're having issues, I always hear them arguing. Last night, they had an argument and my dad left the house angrily and he didn't come back."

"Awwww......they'll be fine, just leave them. That's how married couples are."

"They've been arguing a lot lately, I'm afraid that it can lead to them separating."

"No, don't think like that. It's just normal for couples to fight, they'll be okay."

He nodded his head. "Thanks for listening."

"I'm always here to listen."

"That's why I like you so much."
He looked at me intensely with a light smile and there was something in his eyes that I couldn't quite decipher.

Chioma propped down on the other chair, hindering me from asking any more questions.