Ch. 2 (part 3)

I wobbled my way down the lonesome road, my shoes held loose in my grip. Thoughts were banging against my mind, urging and pleading with me to think, to overthink, what had just transpired.

Those were thoughts I readily ignored. It felt much too soon to even process what I'd been through. A part of me held out hope that I was mistaken, that it was just a drunken haze, a patchwork memory, sewn together wrong.

The cool near-summer breeze rushed over me, clearing my head. I walked past one of the town signs. "Chatter Creek, a good place to call home." I scoffed at the sign as I passed it.

How long had I been walking? I grabbed for my phone, but it wasn't there. I panicked, and searched my dress, the fact that I had no pockets escaped me. Had I lost it? I shuddered for a moment, had I lost it there?

The scattered scenery of trees loomed over me, cloaked in a veil of darkness, standing guard in the night. Watching me as I stumbled further own the road.

I groaned, and looked up at the night sky. "This sucks." I whined, my feet sore from every step.

My gaze remained locked on the sky. It really was a beautiful night. How dare it be so beautiful. A large white mass flared across the sky. A shooting star? I closed my eyes and without hesitation, I wished.

"Why can't life be more like a fairy tale? It would be so much simpler..." I said, confiding in the night. "I wish..."

Down I went, tripping over something on the ground. Hair dangled in front of my eyes, I rose moments later to find myself in a strange circle.

"What the--"

"Greetings, human child," a voice greeted me in the darkness.

Startled, I jumped back, trying to stay on my feet. "Who's there?"

"Be not afraid, young one, we mean you no harm." A slender woman appeared before me.

She was thin and towering, with skin as flawless as fresh fallen snow, but a color I was not familiar with, a shade of green and purple? Hair like golden strands of thread woven together, each hair somehow unique and defining.

"Am I dead?" I slurred, adjusting my focus.

The stranger laughed. "No, child, death has not taken you. You are but only about to live, truly."

Her words flew over my head, I was in no state to comprehend this fresh hell.

I staggered forward. "Where am I?" I looked around the circle that seemed to roll off into the darkness of the trees.

She smiled, and raised her hand high. "This is the court of the fae, and I am its nameless queen." Her hand plucked a golden hair from atop her head.

What was this strange woman doing? I watched on with a cautious curiosity, wanting to know more but for some reason was wavering.

"Fae? Like...faeries?" I said, believing wholly this was a dream, or drunken stupor.

The stranger made her way to me, as if floating on the very air itself. "We heard your plea, your pain," she said, offering the hair to me.

I looked at the hair, and dismissed it. "Oh, no thanks, I'm on a no hair diet...wait, we?"

"Yes, we." She motioned towards the dark edges encircling us, and balls of dancing light descended upon us in droves.

"These are but some of the faerie folk I rule over." The collective of colorful lights swarmed around her, as she reached out for me.

My head wouldn't stop pounding, it felt chopped in half, right down the middle. It throbbed as the stranger came closer.

"What do you want?" I said, holding my head.

"Only to grant your wish, child." She smiled, the hair clutched tight.

"Wish?" I laughed, though it hurt. "Only children wish."

She widened her eyes, her mouth dropped open in disbelief. "How could you speak such words? Wishes are for everyone, child. Even you." Her open mouth formed a smile once more.

"I just want to go home," I whined.

She bent down before me, presenting me with the hair. "You may have that, and more. All you need do is wish for it."

A wish? The turning in my stomach could no longer be ignored, I had no choice. With little thought, I heaved, and out came a glorious stream of regret, all over the strange woman.

"You might wanna clean that up, Tinkerbell." I wiped at my mouth.

The stranger stopped. She held her arm steady, as her face began to burn with rage. Her eyes, once soothing, now held a seething void of anger.

Her skin glowed, the golden strands resting atop her head had risen, as if air flowed through them. "You dare insult me, child?"

I couldn't speak, my body wouldn't allow it. The sensation built up in my throat as the stranger stood over me. Was this some alcohol induced nightmare?

She leaned down and pressed the golden thread of hair against my forehead, and spoke, her voice booming.

Abandon all

For hope is lost

Wishes paid

Collected cost

When darkness gathers

Heed the call

The light shall die

When stars will fall

The words flooded my ears, swirling around my head like the loudest whisper. I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out, only more regret.

T̲h̲a̲n̲k̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲e̲v̲e̲r̲y̲o̲n̲e̲ ̲f̲o̲r̲ ̲r̲e̲a̲d̲i̲n̲g̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲t̲h̲e̲ ̲e̲n̲d̲ ̲o̲f̲ ̲t̲h̲e̲ ̲c̲h̲a̲p̲t̲e̲r̲!̲ ̲I̲f̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲ ̲e̲n̲j̲o̲y̲e̲d̲ ̲t̲h̲i̲s̲ ̲t̲h̲e̲n̲ ̲p̲l̲e̲a̲s̲e̲ ̲v̲o̲t̲e̲ ̲a̲n̲d̲ ̲s̲h̲a̲r̲e̲ ̲t̲h̲e̲ ̲s̲t̲o̲r̲y̲ ̲w̲i̲t̲h̲ ̲o̲t̲h̲e̲r̲s̲!̲ ̲I̲'̲d̲ ̲r̲e̲a̲l̲l̲y̲ ̲a̲p̲p̲r̲e̲c̲i̲a̲t̲e̲ ̲i̲t̲.̲ ̲A̲n̲d̲ ̲f̲e̲e̲l̲ ̲f̲r̲e̲e̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲c̲o̲m̲m̲e̲n̲t̲ ̲a̲s̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲ ̲r̲e̲a̲d̲ ̲o̲r̲ ̲w̲h̲e̲n̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲'̲v̲e̲ ̲f̲i̲n̲i̲s̲h̲e̲d̲ ̲a̲ ̲p̲a̲r̲t̲ ̲o̲f̲ ̲t̲h̲e̲ ̲s̲t̲o̲r̲y̲.̲ ̲D̲o̲n̲'̲t̲ ̲b̲e̲ ̲s̲h̲y̲!̲ ̲T̲h̲a̲n̲k̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲ ̲a̲g̲a̲i̲n̲,̲ ̲a̲n̲d̲ ̲I̲ ̲h̲o̲p̲e̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲ ̲c̲o̲m̲e̲ ̲b̲a̲c̲k̲ ̲f̲o̲r̲ ̲m̲o̲r̲e̲!̲