Ch. 4 - Turn of events

"And that's just one example of a neutralization reaction that you may find in your everyday life," Mrs. Finch prattled on in one exhaustive breath. 

It was as if the woman would wait till she was all out of air before stopping to take in more. Often her voice would grow hoarse and hushed as she forced out the last bit of air in one faint squeak, then in with a big breath before continuing.

I tapped my fingers swift against the desk, eyeing the clock on the wall over the door. 11:45. Almost time for this secret meeting. That letter had spooked me, but I was more curious than anything now. My eyes flitted about the room, examining the potential suspects. It was mostly disinterested kids with looks of "I don't need to know this" written across their faces, with the odd one or two pretending-to-listen-while-totally-asleep sprinkled among the bunch. 

Miller was on his phone, his thumbs moved quick over the screen, a game maybe? Madison was filing her nails with a purple, bedazzled nail-file, because of course she was. She caught me staring, I smiled faintly. She squinted her eyes, titled her head, and flashed a faux smile before holding up a certain finger. At the back of the room, Bobby sat in silence. His head down, his eyes fixated on his desk. I'd never seen him look so solemn, so detached.

I couldn't help myself from lingering on him. It wasn't like the thought hadn't crossed my mind. Not that I wanted him in any part of my mind. The clock's hands inched their way closer to noon. My gaze intensified like the sun through a magnifying glass, it was as if I was burning a hole through him. With no warning he looked up, and I pulled my head away just in time. I hope.

My heart raced as the bell rung. 

"Okay, remember your worksheets, you have a test on Monday," Mrs. Finch said amidst the stream of students making their way out the door in a flurry of eager footsteps.

I grabbed my notebook and waited. My hands held firm the edges of my desk as Bobby stood to leave. The moment he crossed the threshold of the classroom door I stood, and dashed to the door, I peered around the corner, keeping my sights on Bobby. I had to know for sure.

Down the hall I went, pushing through the crowded swarm of passersby. He made a sharp left, and then seemed to pick up his pace. Had he noticed? If he had that may be proof enough.

The lunch-hour rush descended upon the hallways, I struggled to keep up with him as I was pushed back and forth, swept up in the rushing current of student bodies.

Fighting my way through, I came out the other side, Bobby was stopped at a water fountain. I hadn't lost him, yet. He kept moving, and I followed. A right, a left, down the stairs, where was he going? I weaved in and out of the people parked motionless in the halls. My breaths began to speed up, keeping at this pace was proving challenging. It was two minutes to noon, and he was no closer to the back of the school. Maybe it wasn't Bobby.

I was so caught up in my head that I hadn't noticed Bobby had given me the slip. I searched the hall for him, but there was no trace. I looked at my phone, and decided to give up. If it was him I'd find out soon enough. 

Behind the school, I leaned against the cool brick wall, my arms crossed, as a quiet breeze blew past. Anticipation ruled over me. Whoever had left that note would soon reveal themselves. My heart couldn't take much more of this.

I closed my eyes and lifted my chin. It was already after twelve, where was this mystery person? A part of me still clung to the possibility that it was Bobby.

Given the context of the note, the options were pretty limited. It's gotta be him. Either that or my parents are playing a really disturbing joke on me. Which, might not be such a bad option by comparison. 

I opened my eyes, and watched the billowing clouds overhead pass languidly by. Seemed like a perfect way to describe me; something overflowing that moved at a pace most betraying.

This was taking forever. The wind picked up as I reached for my phone. 

"Adeline?" 

I stopped, my phone within my grasp. This was it. I turned to face my...admirer? Stalker? Person who had me confused with the only other Adeline at our school?--granted, she was a librarian in her seventies.

My mouth dropped open, my phone nearly dropped as well, my eyes widened. I was overcome with a feeling that enveloped me like a wave crashing against a shore. Only it was not the waters of discomfort, and sorrow that washed over me, but of confusion. 

"This can't be right," I said as I looked them up and down. "You wrote the letter?"

The one who stood before me, the one who had left me that note, and who had wanted to talk about something that happened last night was not Bobby, but Miller.

He hunched over slightly, his shoulders rounded. His hands shoved into his pockets, and the expression held on his face looked as if it was trying to escape it entirely. "Adeline, we need to talk about last night."