Ch. 29 - Bridge problems

Bobby stood with Madison on his back, watching us as we waved goodbye, traveling the next hundred or so feet before we reach the bridge separating us and the so-called queen, alone.

We trekked onward in relative silence. Pieces of conversation spilled out as the very forest around us was in an uproar the closer we drew to the bridge. Birds soared from the tops of trees in flocks, hurrying off as other small creatures scurried away from the bushes, running down the bark of trees and scampering off behind us.

"That doesn't seem suspect at all..." Miller looked back as swarms of animals sauntered off to, what we could only assume, was safety.

"Nope. Seems about right given the circumstances." My voice steady, so steady you could barely hear the hint of fear hiding there.

"So..I think we should go over the plan again...just to be safe."

Small puffy lizards ran past my feet. "Okay. Lay it on me."

"We share our revelation about the poem, demand she uphold her end of the bargain, and if things go sideways..." He reached into his pocket and felt over the surface of the round iron bullet. 

I nodded. 

"But, let's hope it doesn't get to that." He feigned a chuckle.

"How much further?" 

He moved his finger over the map. "Not much. It should be up ahead."

I balled up my fist and nearly bit my tongue in anticipation--or perhaps anxiously.

The skies above us were a mess of colors, swirling around as if a storm were brewing. Maybe it was.

We had spent more than a week in this godforsaken hellhole, we were not the same people who entered, we definitely wouldn't be the same after leaving. But, as scarred as we might be there may be hope that we can at least leave this place looking like the hapless teens who entered. Because, I'm fairly certain folks would take notice if Bobby showed up to school looking like...well, a living nightmare with fur. And I definitely couldn't go home looking like a Troll doll brought to life.

"There it is."

I broke from my daze as the bridge came into view. A rickety old thing. The rails were in shambles, their rope  gnawed and frayed. Boards were loose or missing all the way to the other side. And I had no way of knowing this for certain but I was 99% positive you'd just keep falling forever if you happened to fall--mental note to self: don't fall.

"Well, you know what they say...ladies first." He moved for me to pass him.

I was not amused and I let my face show it, very, very much so. "Oh, why thank you, what a gentleman." My tone both devoid of emotion and riddled to the bone with sarcasm.

I grasped the ropes on both sides of me as my foot cautiously stepped forward, resting warily on a plank. I eased myself into the next step, and the next, and the next. Before I knew it I was six planks out and regretting everything.

"Just a little further." Miller shouted from behind.

I stared at the seemingly tiny destination point hundreds of planks away from us before turning to face Miller. "What's your definition of a little?"

He laughed nervously. "I'm not sure, my eyes are closed right now...I'm kind of terrified of heights..did I forget to mention this?"

"Uh..yeah...just a little bit." 

I could see his legs buckling as he gripped the ropes firm. His knuckles turning white.

"It's okay, just stick close to me and we'll be fine." I stepped forward, moving from plank to plank, careful not to let my foot get caught in any knots in the wood. Without meaning to my food broke a board. "Ah." I screamed mildly before regaining composure.

"Adeline!" Miller was about seven planks behind me.

"I'm fine, sorry." I shouted back.

I stepped further across the bridge. Barely half way from where we began. Catching glimpses of what awaited us below should we not be so lucky. A pit of nothingness with no end in sight.

"Don't look down."

"What?" I turned my head back to face Miller.

"That's what they say. Don't look down. First rule of crossing something like this."

"Who's they?"

"I don't know...they." He hurried over that hurdle in the conversation. "Never mind. Just don't look down. Putting it in perspective never helps in these situations."

"Putting it in perspective? Putting what?"

"You know...what would happen."

"If?"

"If we fall..."

We stood there on the swaying bridge in silence.

"Adeline."

"Yeah?"

"I looked down."