Ch. 6 - Nightlife

"Mom, it's not a date. He's just coming over to study. I swear." 

My mom eyed me, a smirk growing in the corners of her mouth. "Mhm, whatever you say." She winked.

I groaned as she walked away from me, throwing on her coat. My dad kept peeking out the living room curtains.

"When's he supposed to get here?" His head darted from side to side.

"Honey, we have to get going." My mom put on her earrings.

"I'm not going anywhere until I meet this Muller."

"His name is Miller." 

"His name is trouble, and I'm too young to be a grandpa."

My mouth dropped open. "Oh..my..god. Mom." I turned to my mom, pleading with her to do something about my impossible father. 

"Honey, away from the window." She placed her hand on his back and walked him to the door. 

"What? What did I do wrong? I'm just looking out for my little Addy." 

I walked behind them, and stood guard, making sure they would soon be gone. "There's looking out, and then there's suffocating."

"Hey, I'm allowed to suffocate you, you're my daughter."

I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrows. "There is so much wrong with that statement."

Mom grabbed his coat from the closet, I loved my parents to death, but I did not need my dad making a scene when Miller showed up. He went to open the door, and standing there about to knock was Miller.

My father stood there, sizing him up. "Well, well, well. The infamous Miller I presume?" He stayed standing in front of the closed outer door.

Miller didn't know what to say. "Infamous? I don't know about that, but your presumption's correct, I am Miller." 

"Honey, let him in." 

He turned to face my mom. "Do I have to?"

"Mom." I groaned.

"Daniel Summers, let that young man in right now." She placed a hand on her hip and motioned to the door with the other. My dad knew who wore the pants in this family.

He slumped his shoulders in defeat and opened the door. "Please. Come in." His tone dry, and his eyes watched Miller like a hawk.

Miller walked inside. "Thanks." He was still very confused.

I tried to hide my embarrassment, but there was nowhere in sight. I held my hand to my face, and shook my head. "Dad," I said softly. 

He walked further inside, and my dad eyed him up and down. 

"You're pretty tall." He made himself look as tall as possible next to Miller, nearly walking on his tiptoes.

"Yeah. My mom says once I hit puberty I started growing like a weed."

My mom let out a small laugh. "Most kids do. What does your mom do, Miller?"

"She's the police chief."

"Really? So your mom's Debbie Windan?" 

"Yup, the one and only."

"There you go, honey, his mom's a cop. If he gets her pregnant she'd probably shoot him."

My dad looked at Miller intensely, and narrowed his gaze. "Good." He nodded.

Miller stumbled back, even more confused than he was before. "Wait, pregnant?" He looked to me and I nearly died. Parents should come with mute buttons.