Ch. 18 - Madeline

I sat huddled near large rocks on the far side of the stream. A small clearing allowed me enough space to move, but with enough coverage for privacy. At last I was alone. My head still spinning. Why did I do that? Not only did I almost kiss Bobby, but I pushed Miller away. He had no right to talk to me like that, but still, he's my friend--at least I hope he is. And I won't even begin to remind myself of my near fatal mistake: Kissing Bobby Ferrari. I never thought I'd call that a mistake. Not too long ago I was over the moon having kissed him, but now, I wasn't so sure anymore. In that moment I felt drawn to him, compelled. But, I still felt sick thinking about it, about him.

I stretched out under a large tree that provided me ample shade. The breeze drifted past as I laid down my head, and closed my eyes. 

"What are you doing?" A voice broke my peace and quiet.

"Madison?" I opened my eyes, regrettably.

Madison stood over me. She leaned against a rock, and crossed her arms. "Saw nerd-alert looking kind of mopey. I figured it was something to do with you." She cocked a smile.

I sat up. "What's that look for?"

She laughed. "Nothing. Just that it's pretty amazing how dense you are."

What the hell was she going on about? Dense? Dense about what? 

I laid my back against a tree, and looked up at the sky. "Leave me alone, Madison." My tone weak, and devoid of any motivation to put up with her.

She uncrossed her arms. "Wow." She walked over to me. "Didn't expect supergirl, Adeline Summers, to give up so easily." She leaned against the tree.

I looked up, and shifted my gaze in her direction. "Please, I'm not in the mood for this." I closed my eyes.

She nudged me with her foot. 

"Hey, stop that." 

"No." She nudged me again. "Move over."

"Okay, okay, just stop." 

She sat herself down next to me. "As much as I hate to admit this...you really helped me out when I was at a low point, so consider this my way of evening the score."

I raised an eyebrow. "Evening the score? What score?"

"Doesn't matter." She scoffed. "Listen, Adder--I mean, Adeline, I'm not so good with this whole touchy-feely crap." She fidgeted with her hands, and her eyes darted about the forest landscape. "But, you can't just give up. Not now. We need you." She looked at me. "You're stronger than you think." Her eyes seemed so sincere. 

This can't be good. Clearly something has killed Madison, and taken over her body--but, is that such a bad thing?

I didn't know how to respond. "Thanks?"

She groaned, and rolled her eyes. "I'm trying here, okay, you could do the same, you know."

I feigned a smile, and pulled my knees towards my chest. My arms wrapped around them. "You're right. Thank you, Madison."

She tried to hide her embarrassment. "Whatever. I just hate seeing you two dorks fall out of love."

Love?

I nearly choked on a hard, exhaled breath. "Excuse me?"

She turned her body to face me. "Come on, you gotta see it."

I narrowed my forehead. "See what?"

She groaned louder. "Oh my god, really?" Her mouth hung open, her forehead wrinkled.