Ch. 14 - Book marks

We had walked most of the day, our feet tired as we pushed on through the suffocating thicket of trees and plant life that stood ever present in the forest surrounding us. My mind still somewhere else, lost, wandering and wondering. The rising volume of those behind me jolted me back, and took hold of my attention.

I glanced over my shoulder. "What's going on?"

Miller raised his head from the book, and looked back. "Huh? Oh, them. I'm not sure, something about feet or shoes?"

"Madison, for the last time, I don't care about your shoes, so shut it." Bobby covered his ears as Madison droned on.

"Well excuse me for getting blisters from all this awful, awful walking I've been forced to do." Her voice was dipped in a whiny pool of loudness and sufferance.

"I'm walking too," Bobby said, his ears still covered.

She groaned. "But I'm the only one walking in near-heels." 

She was referring to the wedged-heel sandals on her feet, not quite high-heels, but not quite sandals. A perfectly fashionable footwear choice--for anywhere but here.

"It's not my fault you're wearing stupid shoes."

She scoffed. "First of all, screw you, these are not stupid, you're stupid. Second of all, how could I have known I'd be trapped in a Disney nightmare?"

Bobby pushed his hands harder against his ears, and gritted his teeth. "Stop talking."

Madison crossed her arms. "I will complain all I want, it's the only thing I have left."

I turned my attention forward as we came to a clearing, and a small riverbank. A green-tinged, lonely stream of shallow water that twisted and turned through the forest laid out before us. I neared the edge, bent down to the stream, and stared at my murky reflection. 

"Think it's safe to drink?" I said to Miller as he approached me.

He gazed down. "Given how things have gone so far I'd say no. But, feel free to find out for yourself."

I feigned a smile as he walked off, his face still glued to the pages of his book. It seemed like he was more and more engulfed in what those books had to offer than the world around him, I wondered if he was pushing himself too much for my benefit. 

I watched as Miller settled down on a rock near some far bushes, his hoodie pulled tight around him, book in hand as he flipped fervently through the worn, mystical texts. My attention broke as the child-like fighting between Madison, and Bobby continued. 

"La, la, la, la, la," Bobby said, hands held firm against his ears, "I can't hear you."

Madison stood close behind him, her posture slanted, arms crossed. "Real mature, what are you, seven?" She rolled her eyes.

I tried my best to force a smile as my footsteps drew near the dueling adolescents. I hated to admit it, but we couldn't afford to be divided. We had to stay strong. All of us.

"Guys, what the hell is going on with you two?"

Bobby kept his ears covered. "I'm sorry, I can't hear anything," he said, his body leaned in towards Madison.

Before they could go back at it I pulled his hands from his ears. "Would you cut that out." I turned to Madison. "Both of you."

Her expression dropped, and I cut her off before she could get in another childish remark. "We need to try and get along. At least long enough for us to get out of here."

"You mean after you get what you want, isn't that right?" Madison crossed her arms and turned her snide focus on me. 

"Excuse me?"

She scoffed. "Save it. You know what I'm talking about. You said so yourself. As long as we break your curse-thingy we'll be able to go home."

My body felt hot, I tingled all over, each one like a small prick pushing into me. "That's because it's the truth. You saw the only way out vanish. None of us are getting out of here until my curse is broken."

"Well some of us didn't sign up for this. It's not like I got a choice." Her words stung as she pushed past me.

The prickling feeling grew, each one pushing in felt like I was being stabbed, deeper and deeper. "It's not like I got a choice either, you know. I didn't ask for any of this. I sure as hell didn't ask to be stuck in this messed up place with either of you." My tone picked up, covered in a loud, thick mess of emotion.

Madison lurched forward and slapped me hard across the face. My mouth hung open, my cheek stung, a red hand-print lingered. I held my hand over my cheek, the anger mounting within me wanted to strike her back, and it would be oh so easy. I could just push my hands out, maybe only one would do, and I'd send her shooting back. I'm one-hundred-percent positive I'd feel better, and I'm half-certain she'd live. Decent enough odds.

It took every ounce of strength I had to not lash out at her. I fought hard to withhold the steady surge of rage below the surface. Madison's eyes held a strong sense of fear looking back at me. She's just a kid. We all are. Of course she's scared, I'm petrified, and I'm the one who almost gave her a one-way ticket to R.I.P.'s-ville. My rage puffed out, and with a deep, breathy sigh I let it go.

With one step I stood right in front of her, our faces inches apart. She was taken aback as I grabbed her hand, and stared into her soft, blue eyes. "We need to stay together. If we fall apart now there's no saving the one's we love." I gripped her hand tighter. "Please, Madison, not for me, but for them. When this is over you can ridicule me all you want, call me every name in the book, hit me as hard as you can. But for now, can we try to work together?" Silence rose around us by the side of that lonely stream.

For once I sensed no ill-will from Madison. Her eyes looked at me with such genuine humanity--for a brief moment. The moment after, she crossed her arms as if a chill had caught hold.

She glanced me up and down before staring daggers at me. "Whatever. You just better get us back, alive." She turned abruptly from me, and made her way to the riverside, where she sat down, faced away from us.

Bobby moved past me, his hand gripped my shoulder for a moment. "Touching speech, Summers." He walked off, and sat down against a tree.

Why was I even trying so hard? I could feel a headache coming on. 

"Adeline?" 

I turned my attention back to Miller as he called out to me from his rock.

I stood over him. "What's up?"

He closed the book he was reading. "I have a favor to ask." His eyes seemed eager.

I hesitated. "...Okay. What is it?"

He held his book out to me. "Teach me how to read the faerie language."