Ch. 19 (part 2)

It had been almost two hours since Bobby left, and Miller last spoke. Madison's shaking had lessened, and her strange ramblings were fewer now, but she still had a high fever, and continued to twitch.

I looked over at Miller by the fire. He had scoured one book fully, and was now deep into another. 

"Any luck?" I dared speak.

He wouldn't respond. Instead, he mumbled to himself, and flipped through his books, desperate for answers.

I approached him wearily. "Miller?" I tapped his shoulder.

He turned. "What is it?"

His face was bruised. One eye was half-open, blood stained his lips.

"Made any progress?" I sat myself down beside him, stealing glances back to Madison.

He turned the page. "No." His voice quiet.

I put my hand on his shoulder. He winced.

"Are you okay?" I pulled away.

He squinted. "I'm fine." He turned another page.

"Miller, I'm sorry Bobby hurt you." I clasped my hands together on my lap. "But, he's changed. I know it's hard to believe, but he has."

Miller continued searching through his book. "Great. I feel much better now. Thank you."

Why was he acting so cold? 

I placed my hand on his. "I know I must sound crazy, but please, for me...give him a chance. He's trying."

Miller stopped moving. He hunched over. The light from the fire cast shadows on his face. "Fine, Adeline. I'll give him a chance." He flipped the page. "For you."

I smiled. "Thank you."

He tossed the book down, and picked up another. "It has to be in here somewhere."

I leaned in, and peered over his shoulder. The warmth of the fire inviting. "Have you found anything?"

He clenched his jaw, and turned a page. "No. Nothing."

"Well, I'm sure--"

"I don't think I can save her, Adeline." 

The fire crackled, and wisps of embers floated up into the night sky.

I couldn't move. "Excuse me?" Fear gripped me. A coldness took hold, one the fire could not thaw.

"I'm sorry." 

"Miller." I reached out to console him. Fighting back tears.

He flipped through the pages of his book with a violent force. One page after another. "He was right. I'm just hiding in these books. There's nothing I can do to help." His words became shaky, his voice cracked. 

"Miller, it'll be alright. You're doing your best." 

He slammed the book down, it opened to a page somewhere in the middle of the book. "No it's not. I can't do anything to help you guys. I'm just slowing you down." 

I put my hands on his shoulders, and turned him to face me. "That's not true." I stared into his eyes. "Without you I'd never have figured out what my curse was. Without you I'd never have found that map leading us to the stones. Without you...without you I doubt I could do any of this." I gripped his hands tight. "You aren't slowing me down, Miller. I believe in you." I smiled.

He stared back at me. His eyes filled with tears. "Thank you." He wiped them from his eyes, and turned back to the book. "Right. I won't give up just yet. We have to save Madison." His eyes grew wide as he picked up the book.