Ch. 25 (part 2)

"We have to get out of here, now," Madison yelled.

I looked up at Bobby. "Do you think you could help us?"

He raised his head and stood tall. He bellowed out a mighty roar.

"Is that a yes?" Madison said.

I nodded. "I think so."

We climbed onto the back of Bobby the beast, and rose high above the destroyed city of Fovalla. 

"I think we better hold on tight." I shouted back to them.

Madison held onto me, and Miller sat behind her. I leaned down to whisper into Bobby's ear.

"Let's go."

In an instant he jumped up. His legs carried us fast across the waste and debris left behind us. Flames ignited all around as he leaped over the burnt corpses of fallen Foven, and the rubble of their once great city. 

I stared blankly at what we had brought onto these peaceful people. Fear had turned them into the very thing they hated. But it was crossing paths with me that hammered the last nail in their coffins. I couldn't help but feel a gnawing numbness gripping at my heart. But it was a scratch compared to what I would normally feel, the devastation I brought should have weighed more on me. But it barely made a dent. And somehow that brought me more pain than this.

Bobby climbed over the destroyed city wall, and darted swiftly away from the burning city. We dashed fiercely through the night. Not daring to stop or look back for even an instant. 

When his feet did finally come to a halt, we climbed off his back, and laid our tired bodies on the cold, forest floor once more. 

Madison sat next to me. Her head leaned against my shoulders. Bobby curled up behind us, my back rested against him. Miller sat near the water's edge. Alone and lost in thought. Turning page after page in those books of his. Coughing, and wheezing under the moonlight.

I pulled away from the sleeping Madison, and Bobby, and sat quietly next to him.

"Hey."

He didn't look up from his books. "Hey."

I bit my bottom lip. Should I just say it? There was no way I could actually just say it! But he definitely did. He said he loves me. And now we're here by the water, and he isn't even looking my way.

I nudged him. "So, should we talk about it?"

He looked away from the book for a moment. "Talk about what?"

I laughed quietly. "Good one." I smiled.

He turned to face me. "What are you talking about?"

My smiled faded. "What you said...in the cell?"

He looked confused. His eyebrows scrunched down. "What did I say?"

Now I was confused. How could he not remember? I couldn't forget. 

"Don't you remember?"

He shook his head. "Should I?"

Maybe when he lost consciousness, he also lost his memory of what he confessed in that cell. What a ripoff. I finally figure out that I have feelings for him, and he goes and forgets he even said anything about it. 

I sighed, and feigned a smile. "It's not important." 

He looked away from me. "Alright..." He turned the page.

I leaned over to see the book. "So, what you reading?"

He placed the book on my lap. "Something that could end this madness once and for all...I hope."