Ch. 23 (part 2)

I sat slumped against the bar. Watching as Bobby had fun with his harem of Foven. Miller still seemed lost somewhere, and Madison was grinding with two Foven girls in the middle of the dance floor.

I had no idea she even liked girls. I never meant to lead her on. I just thought we were becoming friends, I never even thought she would feel this way. So not only were Miller and Bobby somehow wanting me, now Madison was added to the fray.

I found myself fixated on Bobby, hoping it was only the effects of the want Mar'e gave us. Although even that felt awful. It meant that some part of me was indeed attracted to him, whether I liked it or not.

As I wallowed alone a stranger came up behind me. I hadn't seen many others of such a height in the club. The tallest came to about Bobby's chin. But I guess even some of the Foven would be bound to have a few genetic giants among them.

I looked up at the mysterious stranger. A cloak wrapped around his form, gloves worn on his hands, and a bird-like mask with a short beak covered his face. I had no idea what it was that threw me, but something about this stranger was pulling me in. Some part of me wanted him as well.

He gave me his hand and pulled me to my feet. We walked onto the dance floor, and made room among the crowd. As the beat changed once more he pulled me close and looked down at me. I could almost see his eyes behind the mask. They shot right through me, and I couldn't bare to look away.

We moved about the club, lost in our own little world. Dancing out of sync to the beats, and grabbing everyone's attention as we waltzed past them. The colorful lights washed over us and the beats slowed to a halt. Within moments a new beat began. One that kept in time with our movements. And those around us began to follow our lead. 

All of Sinsational was joining in. Young lovers, and strangers in the night joined together to dance about the glowing floor of lights as if it were a ballroom, and this was a fairy tale. The masked stranger held me close to him, and I could feel his hand against my back. It felt right somehow. Was I crazy?

As I moved my hand up to remove his mask the music stopped. Shouting commenced.

"Out, out! We gotta move." 

The Foven ran and hurried from the club. The crowd separated me from the stranger and I tried to make my way to Miller and the others. 

"Miller? Bobby? Madison?" I called out.

"Over here, Summers." Bobby yelled.

"Are the others with you?"

Bobby shook his head. "No, but come on, we gotta move. They might be outside."

I pushed through the crowd, and bumped into Madison. "There you are. We have to get out of here."

She nearly spoke before stopping herself. She nodded and ran ahead of me. I wanted to say something, anything at all, but now was not the time. 

I neared the exit and looked back as Foven ran past me. I saw no sign of Miller.

"We can't leave him behind." I yelled to them as I attempted to run back in.

"Leave who behind?" Miller shouted as he ran towards me.

"Miller, you're alright." I hugged him and for a moment felt strange. "Did you find the bathroom?" I pulled away from him.

He shook his head. "I looked, and looked, but nothing. What's going on?"

"We have to get going." I grabbed him by the hand and we ran behind Bobby and Madison.

"Why are we running?"

"I don't know. A fire, or maybe something is happening elsewhere in the town, or--"

"Cops." Madison shouted as we ran faster.

I looked behind us to catch a glimpse of the gate guards bolting after us. Their staffs held high.

"What happens if they catch us?" I said through labored breathing.

Bobby looked back. "I don't wanna find out."

Miller tripped over something and fell. 

"Are you alright?" I leaned down to help him back up, and noticed something on the ground.

"I'm fine, we have to move." He ran ahead of me.

I picked up what Miller had dropped, and couldn't believe my eyes. 

"Adeline, come on." He shouted at me.

I ran towards them, the item tight in my hands. I stared back at the Foven guards, and then glanced down at what I held. Firmly in my hands was the very mask my mysterious stranger wore that night. And his name was Miller.

We rounded another corner and shot down an alleyway. Out of breath, and our legs tired, we bolted down the stone pavement and dared not look back. 

"I think we lost them," Miller said.

"Well I'm not gonna stop now." Madison shouted.

As I took a glance back I felt myself thrown to the ground.

"Summers?" Bobby turned around and stopped.

They all stopped. Standing before them were six Foven guards. All but one without their staff, which was currently under my ankles.

Miller helped me to my feet, and we huddled together before the guards. A familiar face stepped forward. Our eyes grew wide in shock.

"Ghee?" I couldn't help but blurt out.

A beaten and bruised Ghee was held up beside two guards. His body worse for wear, but very much alive. Knoa stepped forward with a stern expression and the same look on his face that I saw held by Ghee: hatred.

"You dare come into our sacred Fovalla, our place of peace, and then lead my daughter down a path of sin." His words were like whips that lashed against us as he spoke.

"But we--"

"Silence, demon." He bellowed. "I should have known better than to trust a suspicious character such as you, cursed one. And your devil dog, mad woman, and underling."

"Please, we don't want any trouble. We didn't mean to cause him harm, we thought he was dead--"

"And so you left him there. Buried his body, and then tricked us. Fed off our kindness." His voice lowered. "I don't want to see their faces again. Lock them up for punishment by morning...no, lock them up for punishment tonight." He shouted and the other guards cheered.

"What? No." I shouted and screamed as they surrounded us, and walked us off to await slaughter.

I did not want this fate, but deep down, somewhere cold and dark, I felt I earned it. And in a place of little light, and warmth, I was relieved I had not taken a life. Though that relief would not be enough to save me now.

Thank you to everyone for reading to the end of the chapter! If you enjoyed this then please vote and share the story with others! I'd really appreciate it. And feel free to comment as you read or when you've finished a part of the story. Don't be shy! Thank you again, and I hope you come back for more!