Ch. 30 - Me, myself, and I

Our feet carried us further down the strangely lit path, twisting and turning around each corner as tiny lights danced across the skies around us. Glittering in an almost radiant glory that would be beautiful if not for our situation.

Our hands still held as we passed yet another set of stone platforms. Symbols and runes of some sort carved into their surface. All around us seemed dark or dim despite the sun shining moments before entered this place. The very air itself seemed thicker somehow, as if trying to slowly choke us the closer we became to our destination.

Miller's head stayed forward despite the sneaking glances from his eyes to the many dark and twisted things we passed. The discolored trees, the whistling grass, the strange stone altars, and the array of ominous dancing lights emitting an eerie tune to guide our way.

"Well, this is pleasant." His tone sarcastic as he squeezed my hand tight.

I smirked. "Very." 

We looked at one another and felt at ease if only for a passing moment.

"So...any idea what you're going to say?"

I paused. "To?"

"The other you."

I stopped walking. 

"What's wrong?"

I shook my head. "Nothing." 

He neared me and put his hand on my shoulder. "Then what is it?"

I sighed and looked up into his deep brown eyes. "I still don't know if..."

He urged me along with his silent gaze.

I rolled my eyes and turned away from him. "If I'm..me. If I'm...the real Adeline."

 "Hey," his hand rested on my shoulder once more as he turned me to face him. "You are real. Okay? Adeline or not. You're real."

I tried not to laugh. "Weren't you just terrified moments ago?" If this had been me upon entering this place I'd have tears in my eyes...I somehow missed that feeling when I needed it the most.

"Yeah. But, funny thing. This super pretty girl, and I mean super pretty, kind of, sort of, asked me out. Like, practically begged. So..." His grin broke through the serious expression he was trying to maintain. 

A smirk pushed through my lips as well. "Oh really? Begged, huh?"

He nodded. "Big time."

I punched his arm as we walked onward. "Thanks."

"Anytime."

Our blissful moment interrupted by the wailing of the wind as it swirled around us. We ran as quick as our feet would allow. 

I gripped his hand tighter. "Don't let go." 

Behind us the wind snapped trees and devoured the lush grass swaying in the fields. Altars of stone cracked and the ground shook as it stayed on our tail; closer and closer.

"What the hell is that?" Miller yelled over the growing loudness of the whipping winds.

"A very bad thing." I grabbed his hand tighter as the wind caught up to us.

In a swift moment it encircled us an tore us apart. Our hands out of reach of one another. Separated and screaming in the swirling vortex as the air was taken from our lungs. It wasn't long after that my eyes grew dim and closed to blackness.

                                                                               *******

I awoke groggy and disoriented. I sat up to a world of pain. My head felt like it would topple off and roll away if my hand were not there to stop it.

I groaned. "Where are we?" I looked around to see a circle, rocks with markings etched into them lined the barrier keeping us here. It was like the one I first entered...only larger, and with a feeling of dread I hadn't experienced the first time around. It pressed heavy on my chest.

"Ugh..."

I turned to see Miller somewhere behind me, sitting up. 

"Are you okay?" I called out to him.

He nodded slowly while grasping his head. "Yeah...you?"

I nodded back. "I think so." I looked around again. "Where do you think we are?"

He peeked through his fingers. "The final boss' room?" He chuckled but stopped from the pain.

Balls of light hovered throughout the circle, nothing else seemed to exist beyond the walls of its barrier. Far off from us but clear within view was a large platform made of stone. Glowing runes carved deep into its surface. A podium-like structure erected before a set of stone steps that led to a would-be throne. On the podium laid some sort of crystal construct.

The lights over us, or lack thereof, beamed dully and dimly as a chiming noise grew louder. The balls of light hovering around nearby worked up into a frenzy as it grew louder.

"Miller?" I shuffled towards him.

"Yeah?" He pulled his hand from his head.

"What do you think's going on?" I reached him and grabbed his arm.

"Final boss." He grinned.

I squeezed his arm tight. "Very funny."

He shrugged lightly. "Kind of true."

The chiming rang through our ears as the same gust of wind that carried us here formed a vortex once more before us, in front of the stone platform. 

We rose to our feet and watched in awe as the balls of light sang and danced while the nameless queen stepped through the vortex in all her murky glory and stood before us. Her menacing smile curling up her cheeks as a girl came into view beside her. As I came into view beside her. 

"Let's begin, shall we?" Her voice boomed and echoed.

Thank you to everyone for reading to the end of the chapter! If you enjoyed this then please vote and share the story with others! I'd really appreciate it. And feel free to comment as you read or when you've finished a part of the story. Don't be shy! Thank you again, and I hope you come back for more!