The Deepest Concern

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Sitting in the lounge, (f/n) sipped at her small cup of coffee. Her hands were wrapped around the Styrofoam container, and the beverage inside warmed her skin. The cold from outside lingered on in even with the heat on. She figured that her parents would have to buy new entrance doors soon to their business. There was a small gap at the base of the doors and above the floor. (F/n) wouldn't be surprised if she saw small wisps of the winter's breath travel on in.

Off to her left, another funeral service was being held. It happened to be from another incident in the woods around Cankerfell Tunnels, the deceased having been found two weeks ago. The family had their loved one cremated and had selected one of the glass niches in one of the mausoleums. (F/n) let out a heavy sigh. It was rough having to sit through so many services every month. Not all of them were related to the tunnels; some were from old age, disease, etc. Her parents, however, wanted her to learn the family trade and understand that she had to be a supportive individual for the families.

She comprehended that well, and she intended to become the funeral director for their family funeral home, Carnation Hills, but she wished that so many wouldn't wander off into the woods or tunnels. Yes, the money was tempting, but money was useless to the individual if they were dead. It didn't help that her friend, Laura, had decided to enter the tunnels with her paranormal enthusiastic friends.

Today, she asked to not be present for the service, but her parents insisted on her attending. The younger sister of the deceased had taken a liking to her and looked up to her like an older sibling. (F/n) didn't mind the company of the young girl, but her mind was elsewhere. She wanted to call Laura and check on her. No news had come yet, but there was a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. Why had she let her friend go?

No, that wasn't right. She had tried to stop her; she had even followed them to the outskirts of the woods, attempting to convince her friend not to go in there. None of her efforts worked, and Laura only grew annoyed at her. She had shoved (f/n) away before she had given her one last reassurance that she would be alright and to have some faith in her. When she had tried to go after her again, Brent had stepped in and had told her to shoo.

If she had tried any more, she would've most likely been knocked out by the male regardless of Laura being there. When Laura set her mind to something paranormally related, she seemed to not care about those outside of her small circle of fellow investigators. It was vexing and worrying, but she was still a childhood friend, who had supported (f/n) when the funeral business's burden had laid too heavily on her.

The service ended, and the sister came over to her. (F/n) put on a reassuring smile and walked out of the funeral home with her. She listened partially to what the girl was telling her, but she couldn't help her gaze from drifting over to the direction that the woods were in. If Laura didn't contact her or she couldn't reach her, she would have to take other measures into consideration, insanely foolish ones at that.

Pacing around her room, (f/n) waited for Laura to pick up. It was nine in the evening, and she had to be back at her home by now. Already, she had tried several times in calling her, but no one picked up. If she was still in those tunnels and alive, calling her probably wasn't the smartest of moves, but she had to do something. Laura only had her phone, and she had tried texting already. That ended in a dead end as well.