The Springiest Exploration

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the story on loop.

Her hand intertwined tightly with Vincent's after the call. Vincent asked if she wanted to talk about what had occurred, but she shook her head and remained quiet. He didn't mention it again, though; she knew that he would listen if she requested it of him.

Their paces increased, however, since (f/n) started to walk faster ever since the call. Her feet pressed forward swiftly, but her mind was somewhere else. She wondered if everything that Nick had told her related to the creature. (F/n) hoped that Jiselle and the strange man had been the creature's parents, but she dreaded the thought of the myth being true.

Did the creature known about that myth, and did he know what would happen to her if he ever had a child with her, which he wouldn't? Her free hand traveled to her lower abdomen, and a horrid chill snaked its way up her spine. Part of her wished to collapse and empty her stomach, but she needed her energy to make the descent.

Vincent and she had planned not to take any breaks. They had decided to make one straight shot and hike the twenty-four hours all at once since the creature could be on their tails at any moment. Both of them had known that they'd be exhausted by the end of it, but they had determined easily that it would be worth it.

She caught a worried glance being directed at her. Reluctantly, she met his eyes. His gaze was that of a worried father, and that only made her more determined to leave the mountains. He probably was an amazing father for his family, and she could imagine the pain that would be left if he died. If she had hallucinations of him if he died, she might lose it.

"I'll be fine for right now. We just need to keep creating distance," she reassured, smiling to him lightly.

Hesitation met his eyes, but he nodded his head and stared forward again. "Right. That thing's speed is utterly terrifying." His hand squeezed hers, and she squeezed back. It was as though she had her own father with her, and that thought comforted her some. Then again, she wouldn't want her father to be escaping from the creature's wrath.

"If we do get caught, what'll happen?"

The question caught her off guard. She didn't desire to think about it, and her body tensed in fear. Her eyes stared down, and she envisioned a miniature creature tearing out of her. Almost, she stopped, but she forced her legs to maintain their swiftness. (F/n) shifted her eyes to ahead of her and gulped quietly, and she told herself that he wasn't going to rush anything. That only reassured her a little bit since it only bought her time, not her life.

"Since you're helping me escape, it won't end well."

"I'll be tortured, right? I'm not going to die immediately."

"If he can't control his anger, you might receive a quick death. If he can ..."

"I understand." A pained laugh left him. "At least, that only motivates me more to reach the end of these woods." Silence filled the air between them, but he parted his lips again. "What has he done to his victims in the past?" (F/n) glanced up to him, and he was terrified. There was a smile on his lips, but his lips quivered too. "I've heard and read things, but when it comes to his killing method, I've only really heard about the five puncture wounds."