The Kindest Pact

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop. 

Carefully, she stepped forward and towards the phone. Even if she couldn't escape the cabin, she could make an important phone call. She hoped that Nick had continued to search for information on the creature even after her capture since she had no other plan in mind. Over time, she probably could think up another, but she was tired of waiting for the creature to be absent from her life physically.

The hiker didn't move. He curled up more against the wall. She reached the phone and lifted it into her hands, but his eyes shot towards her. Fear ensnared them. "Wh-what ..."

"I need to make a call. It's vital that I do." He gave her a skeptical look. She sighed in frustration. "Look, I don't know how much time we have before the creature comes back. You've figured that out too, but I at least need to make a call. Then, you can run out of here if you want."

His mouth opened but no words left. Instead, a bitter, hopeless chuckle escaped him. Slowly, he stood back up, and she took some steps back. He removed his hat and set it on the table before he leaned forward. Smoothed back strands of dark brown and grey hair fell loose. "I can't believe it," he muttered and shook his head.

Looking up and locking his gaze with hers, he already appeared defeated. "It's no use. I've heard the stories about that thing and its gruesome body count, yet somehow you're still alive after being captured." He glanced around the space. "And, the other girl? She's dead, right?"

(F/n) simply wanted to contact Nick, but the man was starting to calm down, which hopefully would improve the situation. Hesitantly, she nodded. He gave a rough sigh and clenched the table. His hands clenched the wood more. "Yet, you're alive and free to roam around. You seem to have no injuries on you either."

"They're covered, but I do have them. I'm ..."

"You're his favorite toy."

Her mouth remained open before she closed it. That was one harsh way of looking at it, but it was even worse than that. She shook her head and gave a saddened laugh. "No, he considers me his partner. He's in love with me." (F/n) only disclosed such information to the stranger because he, in reality, already purchased his ticket to board the train of death. It didn't help that the man was wearing cologne.

"Sh*t." His head hung down. He laughed since he didn't know what else to do in the present, awful situation. There was the option to panic like before, but that would only bring him death quicker. "You really met an awful fate. No wonder that town of yours ..."

"Are they glad to have me gone?" She managed to restrain the emotion in her voice, but her heart tightened. The man met her eyes, and she didn't require anymore of an answer. "Then, calling them won't do me any good." Her grip tightened around the phone. "So, it's good that I have someone else. Do you mind?"

Pushing himself off of the table, he plopped onto the chair and dragged his hands through his hair. He leaned forward again. "Sure, kid. That's fine. My life is over already. At least, it's here rather than in those tunnels." His hands covered his face. "I'm glad that they stayed home," he muttered to himself. She presumed that he was referring to his family.