The Sickest Partner

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Cold, they were both so cold. Lionel believed that several hours had passed since they had left the cabin, and they had found no building in sight. His arms were growing weak, and his teeth were chattering. Ellice was shivering constantly and gripped his shirt to get as much warmth as possible. She had offered to walk on her own, but he had declined since she had no shoes on.

It didn't help that his once okay pace had progressed into an incredibly slow one. He was ready to collapse into the snow. Thankfully, there was no snowfall or wind. The sky remained clear, but he could see the early signs of frostbite on Ellice's toes. Lionel wouldn't be surprised if his ears had it too. They needed to reach somewhere quickly, but all he could see was more trees.

Taking a few more steps forward, Lionel stopped and heard something nearby. It had sounded like running at first, but it changed into soft footfalls. Eyes widening, he looked behind him and saw the creature. The hood was well over its eyes, and its hands were in its pockets again. "Sh*t." Lionel turned around and ran off.

He could hear the slow steps of the creature, and the thing was clearly mocking them. Ellice peered around his right arm, and she tensed. "Lionel, drop me. You can run faster and get out. I won't be able to make it far like this, and one of us should at least live."

"No, I'm not leaving you behind. The creature would probably still come after me. It did say that it intended to catch us both again." A heavy frown formed on her lips, but she rested her head against his chest again. He could tell that she was terrified, and he was too. Even though he kept racing forward, he couldn't help feel that it was pointless.

Not being able to resist, he glanced behind him once more. His heart froze in fear. The creature was gone, but he did hear something to his left. He looked in that direction and saw the creature right behind them and speeding for them. Lionel caught sight of the grin on its lips. Before he could create anymore distance between them, the creature darted out from the trees and collided against the two of them.

Ellice and he went rolling, and he held onto her protectively. Snow surrounded their forms, and they both slowly sat up. Their eyes went wide, however. Right in front of them, the creature crouched. Its eyes trailed down to Ellice's toes, and he shook his head. "Well, that doesn't look too good." The creature's gaze locked onto hers. "I can fix that." It giggled and extended out its left hand.

Its nails ran through her black hair. Before his hold could increase, Lionel reached out and gripped its wrist. "Get off of her," he practically growled out as he went to pull the two of them back. The creature giggled and didn't comply. Instead, it whacked the male's hand off of it with its other hand. Its grip on Ellice strengthened.

"I wouldn't do that." The creature shook its head in a scolding manner. "Otherwise, my nails might scrape across her head." Its grin turned into a smirk. "That would certainly be a cruel death to give your partner. Just imagine her screams." Lionel grew still, and Ellice shook not only from the cold.

"You're sick," the male officer managed to say. His blue eyes displayed both fear and hate, but there was also authority in them as though he could gain control of the situation. The creature retracted its hand before it stood up and gazed down at them. Lionel pulled Ellice up and lifted her back into his arms as he stood up. He took several steps back from the creature.