The Fastest Exploration

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Even with the creature gone, (f/n) didn't open the door. She would wait. For all she knew, the creature could actually be standing completely still and nearby, and she wouldn't walk into another trap. Or, she would try to avoid doing so.

She adjusted her flashlight back to the lowest setting and started to look around the room. It was empty, save for the single wooden chair in the far left corner. That was unsettling, and she hoped that the place wasn't haunted, but it wouldn't surprise her if it was. (F/n) backed away from the chair some, but she kept her light on it.

There didn't seem to be any blood stains on it. It was only a simple chair. She heard tiny feet skitter across the floor, and she screamed. Swiftly, she threw her free hand over her mouth. The flashlight moved violently around the room, and it caught sight of a mouse scurrying away. (F/n) watched it disappear into a tiny mouse hole.

Not too much more time could be spent in the room. Having seen Laura like that and running from the creature immediately after put her on edge, and the lack of space was suffocating. Her thoughts were closing in on her too much. The fear of the chair somehow moving towards her filled her mind too. That thought might be ridiculous, but she couldn't help it. Her hands were beginning to shake again, and images of Laura's dead body kept flashing before her eyes.

(F/n) looked to the door and walked towards it. Hesitantly, she unlocked it. She opened it even slower before she peered out into the hall. Her light showed that the creature wasn't there. A sigh of relief escaped her lips, and she ventured into the hall after she shut the door behind her.

Making a turn, she began to head back towards the center. She didn't know if the path would lead her to dead end, but she wasn't going to try and catch up with Nick and Tara the other way. That would take too long, but she did have some time. The creature selected Brent, not her. It was a terrible thought to have, but her life was her priority, and Brent had just bought her some much needed time.

Being alone in the tunnels, though, was unnerving. Her mind would imagine the creature or something like a ghost popping out anywhere. When she searched rooms, she checked all angles before she entered them. That one encounter taught her to not blindly walk in. In none of the rooms did she find anything useful, however, and she was realizing that she probably should've taken some water from the kitchen.

Her throat was parched, and her stomach growled occasionally. She was also incredibly tired. When she saw a bed even one with a dirty mattress, she just wished to lie upon it and sleep. If she did give into that desire, she might never wake up. Hopefully, the creature had stored away some food that hadn't expired. At least, she could restore some of her energy that way.

Turning left, she paused in her steps. She could see the right turn up ahead, but before that, there were boxes stacked high to the left of her. Carefully, she removed one from the top. It felt empty. When she shook it, nothing moved inside. (F/n) placed it on the ground and steadily pulled back the flaps. There was nothing.

Carrying on, she performed the same with all of the other boxes. Occasionally, she would find a singular item in one. None of these items would do her any good, though, and some she avoided touching altogether. When she searched the last box, she almost thought that she was dreaming. Inside, there was an unopened bag of trail mix.