The Sneakiest Surprise

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Rolling over onto her stomach, (f/n)'s hands gripped at the plush object nearby. It was incredibly familiar. She opened her eyes gradually and stared tiredly at the pale blue pillow. In disbelief, she sat steadily and glanced around her. Her pale blue sheets slid down her some as she found that she was in her room.

(F/n) knew that she had fallen asleep in the car, but a part of her expected to wake up back in the tunnels or the hospital. It was a dream to be back in the comfort of her room. Her mind returned to the thought that the creature had only been a nightmare. Reaching into her one pocket, she pulled out Nick's number, and reality was confirmed. A sigh left her lips before she fell back onto her bed.

Draping her right arm over her eyes, she lazily placed the piece of paper on her nightstand. Her left fingers pulled the sheets up more before she removed her arm and looked over at her metal, round clock. It was noon. She peered at her windows. If it weren't for the clock, she wouldn't have been able to tell. The cloud cover was thick, and she wouldn't be surprised if it snowed that day.

When her nose detected the scent of ginger cookies, though, her attention snapped to her room door. It had seemed like ages since she had tasted one of her dad's ginger cookies. Realistically, it had probably only been three weeks. Having motivation to get out of bed, she stood to her feet and made her way over to her closet. Her hand stopped on the door, however.

She had just returned home. Her parents were being considerate and giving her as much time as she needed to recuperate from the trauma of the creature and losing Laura. Stepping away from the closet, she decided to wear her pajamas for the day. Before she left her room, she grabbed her plush, turquoise bathrobe from the back of her desk chair.

Momentarily, she saw several pieces of paper on top of her laptop. Almost, she had forgotten about her entry into mortuary school in September. There were still several months of freedom ahead of her, but it reminded her that her extended break from her studies was coming to a close. Then again, it would get her out of town for a few years. Hopefully, the creature would be long since dead by that point.

If she were to go now, though, she could escape the creature until he was definitely dead. Unfortunately, she knew that their classes were full at the moment. Even if they weren't, it would mean leaving her parents to the mercy of the creature. She couldn't find it in her to do that to them. Perhaps, the creature didn't know who her parents were, but she had a feeling that he would find out one way or another.

Not focusing on the papers any longer, she put on her slippers, left her room and headed for the kitchen. The smell of cookies grew stronger and seemed to wipe out her worries for awhile. She entered the kitchen, and her father's back was turned to her. He was just setting the first batch down on the cooling rack. A smile found its way on her lips, and she sneaked over.

Just as she was about to grab a cookie, he lifted the rack up. "(F/n), you know that they're too hot to eat right now. Wait two more minutes. Or, you're going to end up with a burned mouth like all of the other times." A pout found its way onto her lips before she crossed her arms. He stared back at her and chuckled. "You know that doesn't work on me."