Chapter 7 Simulation Driving

"I won't distort the facts to be asoldier." Xiao realized that all of this was going into the report to a superior officer and the Colonel and his adjunct were worried he would discredit them as a the 'follower of the Special Task force'. Well let them say whatever they want, the worst that could happen is he would be expelled from the Central Academy of Sciences, making him a regular citizen. The largest punishment is the removal of hisstudent allowance.

But he would still be alive comfortablyin the Shire, "Distort the facts?" Will clenched his fish and Xiao lowered his head anticipating a beating. "Will!" Col. Raven held the man back. "right now you are too close to the matter to appropriately assess it. Do not forget this young back was brought back with a shattered shoulder after narrowly avoiding death."

"So what? White's dead" Will had already decided that Captain White's death was due to Heine Burton.

Xiao looked down at his feet. Although Burton had scraped his face with his blade and fractured his shoulder, even though he was ruthless when calculating the lives of others, Xiao couldn't ignore one thing. Xiao's pain had become aburden in that jungle and Heine had not left him, instead he went to the trouble to carry him back.

"Do you have anything more to say on the matter?" Col. Raven looked at Xiao. He felt somehow there was something decidedly different about this student. He had the sharpness of a class A student but lacked the enthusiasm andambition. He appeared as though cared nothing for promotions. Fame and fortune.... He acted as if he had no use for any of it.

"I just don't understand Colonel."

"What don't you understand?"

"Captain White died under the fire ofthe Surge. I believe that the Special Task forces' report was far more detailed than my oral statement, regarding the situation. However Captain Will does not seem to hold any anger toward the Surgeor even the Zombies. Instead it is all concentrated on the Special Task Force. I was simply wondering what would Captain Will's choice have been in that aircraft. Would he remain or follow the special forces with the uranium?"

Will is furious, he starts to throw a fist but freezes in mid-air.

"Stay in the aircraft and be killed by the Surge. That was the ending. But you said that you had already avoided their tracking missile. I don't believe that. Even if Heine piloted the craft, he can't avoid a tracking missile. That makes the reason for the landing false, therefore everything after doesn't hold up."

Colonel Raven's smile is enigmatic, Xiao cannot discern his intentions.

" How about we perform a test? A simulated flight. We can recreate the terrain, so fly the aircraft and avoid the tracking missile. Then your 'story' will be more convincing."

Xiao stared at the Colonel. This guy is dead serious.

"The system will be ready in a half hour. I will await you performance. Show me that such a miracle can occur."