Chapter 99 New World

Xiao Yan was deep asleep when suddenly he jolted awake, panting and shaking. His eyes widened as he focused on the bright white walls surrounding him.

Where is he? Is this one of Valentin's cells?

"Heine! Heine!" Xiao swiftly sat up and someone immediately grabbed his hand and held his shoulder. The familiar strength of that touch instantly soothed his rapidly beating heart.

"I am here."

This simple statement dissolved the uneasiness in his body and mind.

Xiao Yan turned to the side and his gaze was filled with the stern features of Heine Burton.

"What happened? I feel like I just had a nightmare. I dreamed that we tracked down Valentin and entered a ship..." Xiao shook his head confused and disoriented. "Am I still dreaming?"

Suddenly his mouth was seized by Heine. As his tongue slipped past his lips his fears, and tenuous grasp on reality, settled and stabled. Heine's palm cupped the back of his neck and he pulled his head toward him. His desperate kiss held hints of madness but his movements were tempered and restrained.

Heine pulled back from his mouth slowly and his forehead gently dipped low to settled on his brow. His warm breath swept over Xiao's skin.

"This is not a dream."

Suddenly his mind began to busily take in his surroundings. He grabbed onto Heine and looked at the glass walls of the room. On the other side of the wall was a large and busy space.

Numerous researchers were tackling complex and involved calculations. Xiao curiously walked up to the wall and touched the surface. The minute his fingers made contact, the system responded and the data flashed in front of him. The information scrolled so quickly he could barely keep up. His eyes widened as he took in the implications of what he was seeing. "The Shire...They're planning to build a new city?"

"Yes, they are waiting for you."

Xiao Yan excitedly moved toward the door and opened it. As he stepped into the room, he saw the data surrounded him and the researchers, that were involved in their tasks, suddenly straitened and looked at XIao Yan before saluting him.

"Where...what is this?" Xiao Yan looked around in surprise. He was not at the Academy, nor was he in the Special missions, it wasn't the presidential palace either.

"This is not Shire." A smiling man came up to him, followed by Admiral Sharif and General Gordon. Both were attired in their military uniforms.

Xiao Yan stood stupefied for a long time. Eventually he regained his senses.

"The president...Sir..."

The man, who can only be seen in the military video conferences and news broadcasts, was standing right in front of his eyes.

The president stopped in front of Xiao Yan. "This is the first time that we have met, although I have heard much about you. You have come far from just an ordinary researcher...When I left the Shire with Heine's troops I finished my tasks and stared out the window, looking over the dome and smiling happily. I watched the people scatter and move about their day. Then I asked myself. How can we stay? Whether the field we are striving further in is virology or mechanical physics, they all represent the world...but our researchers are frightened of the world. Look at you...You go outside once and create miracle after miracle. I have wanted to meet you face to face for a long time. I believe that you are a revolutionary pioneer."

Xiao Yan did not think that he had been noticed by the president.

The president casually sat at the desk with his hands on the table. The curve of his smile revealed a side to him that was far removed from the intellectual temperament of Lieutenant General Ervel. Regardless of the differences between the two men, it revealed a wise demeanor. "You have accomplished great things Xioa Yan. You have disintegrated the organization that has threatened humanity for over 200 years, although this achievement is not entirely yours." The president's expression was solemn.

Xiao Yan's mood is inexplicably heavy.