Chapter 29 You Cannot Die

Xiao Yan knew the consequences of his choice.

The thing was, he wasn't nearly as forgetful as he pretended to be. He would always remember Lily's pleading eyes as she begged him not to abandon her.

If he left her behind, he would never sleep again.

He recalled his father telling him that death will come regardless of fear, but one cannot allow that fear to invite shame.

Shame lasts a lifetime, a burden more difficult to bear than death.

For such a weak woman, Xiao know how stupid his decision was.

But Lily is not just a weak woman to Xiao, she is his secret crush.

Xiao Yan headed back for Lily.

He entered the Academy of Science at age 17. Academics and research was never the world that the longed for and he often felt suffocated by it. Perhaps Lily was superficial and weak , but she was the brightest hope in his mediocre life.

She was huddled against the wall sobbing, her knees were pulled up tight against her chest. The zombies were not far from where she cowered.

Xiao stepped forward and picked her up.

He spoke harshly, his expression vicious.

"Get up!"

Lily stared at Xiao too horrified to speak, she never imagined that he would return for her.

Waiting for death was just wallowing in fear. Even though he was exhausted he would rather run as long as he could.

Behind them numerous zombies gave chase. They grabbed at Lily's arms then gripped onto Xiao's shoulders, pulling him down to the ground.

Xiao Yan closed he eyes as he fell, he clutched Lily tightly and she grasped his wrist.

They held their breath and waited for the most painful moment of death to arrive.

But the agony of being torn apart never came.

Xiao Yan only felt a cold wind sweep past his ear and when he opened his eyes he saw the sharp edge of Heine's blade.

"Go. If you can't keep up, I won't stop again." Heine's eyes blazed with a wrath that was just barely restrained.  Xiao Yan was shocked.

The ruthless god of life and death had returned.

Xiao Yan was still digesting this moment. Heine's actions are an impossible compromise for him.

The hatred exploding from his eyes was clear, his indifferent mask was cracked completely open.

Lily looked up, but her breath rushed out as she saw Heine's ferocious gaze.

Xiao Yan looked at the determination in Heine's eyes. This man would never give up at the last minute. For the first time Xiao Yan was upset at his analysis of the situation.

He really gave up way too easily!

Giving up is not an accurate assessment of a situation, it is a weakness.

On the way back, they broke through to the front but the zombies were catching up. Heine gripped his sword tightly and used it to gesture at Xiao Yan.

"Go."

He is going to take the rear.

Xiao looked at Heine's back as he walked. Pure steadiness smoothed his steps, there was not a trace of hesitation.

No matter what disaster befalls him, this man will make it out alive and he will never doubt his own power.

Seeing several zombies grab at Xiao Yan, Heine quickly turned back and gave Lily a heavy stare.

Then he swept his right hand, and the zombies fell to pieces beneath his blade.

As they ran, the passage began to slope. Xiao Yan frowned as saw it. He knew the floor plan of all the bases, most of the channel connections are t-shaped.