Chapter 32 The Test

"Even though Xiao Yan is still a student, his neural processing speed has caught the attention of the heads at the Central Academy of Sciences. The Shire has ordered that he be transferred back to the Academy immediately. I go to inform Xiao of the order only to discover that you risked his life taking him outside the base. If anything had gone wrong--" Shen Bing stressed the word 'anything' with clear meaning.

"If they valued him so much then why did no one remember to secure an evacuation route for him when the base was attacked?" Heine stood to his full height, his posture casting an intimidating shadow over the much shorter Commander. Heine's eyes narrowed and they scraped over Shen Bing like a blade.

"At least if I take him out, I can ensure he will come back." Heine said, turning to leave as the last word landed.

Shen Bing's eyes steadily glared at Heine, tracking the arrogant lines of his back as his figure retreated into the entrance of the base.

"This fucking guy! So...!" Shen Bing was left to curse at nothing but empty air.

-------------------------------------------

Xiao Yan made his way to an underground research laboratory inside the base. The data that he had gathered from the Level 1 zombie outside had to be imported into a terminal. Xiao Yan exhaled heavily, a bit reluctant to begin his task. This is his first time using a military terminal for research purposes. He lifts the helmet connecter and puts it on.

The moment that he connects to the database, his mind feels as though it is engulfed in an ocean of data. The research terminal is far more advanced than those he used in the classroom. He struggles to process and organize the flow of the information that is rapidly transferring to his brain. The rate at which the system downloads is overwhelmingly rapid.

Because there is only data from one zombie, he cannot properly extrapolate his findings. Without more data points he can only make assumptions based on limited information. His report ends up quite random and conjecture based.

Ah well, no one was going to seriously read a student's hypothesis; he hadn't expected to have to write the report at all. He looked carefully over his final write up before he sent it off to the Shire.

Days later, the Shire sent over a transport craft to the base. Shen Bing issued a request to send additional personnel back to the Shire to accompany Xiao Yan. The request was immediately approved.

He prepared for his return and was surprised that, instead of returning with the other students, he was put on a craft with a special task force.

The soldiers in the cabin closed their eyes and Xiao looked out the window as they travelled back. Below them was an arid desert that stretched in all directions. The sand moved like rolling waves, the wind manipulating its form, the lines and shapes of the dunes shifted continuously.

"You always look like you can't get enough of the outside world. After leaving the Shire you have almost died several times. After all that has happened, I would think you would be ready to retreat into a classroom with the other students." Liv's voice broke through Xiao's reverie.

"All desires have a price."

Xiao narrowed his eyes as he watched the zombies slip over the shifting sands. Even though it had been more than hundreds of years they have not died out, due to their ability to convert the heat from their surroundings into utilizable energy. The desert is exposed to direct sunlight and is the best place to soak up the heat. What was once a desolate barren land for humans has become a zombie paradise.

Xiao Yan began to feel fatigued and fell asleep. When he awoke they had arrived at the Shire. He followed Liv out of the craft.

The first face he saw was an expressionless Casey.

His normally casual posture was perfect, the straight line of his back exaggerated inside his uniform. He carries an aura similar to Shen Bing. His badge shows that his is now a Lt. Colonel.

Xiao Yan could not help but feverishly grind his teeth at the scene. Casey was still so childish, he looks like a doll that should be placed on a store display.

Casey walked up to Heine Burton and performed the typical military rituals.