Chapter 18 Brothers

"You did good. Thank you." Heine's steady voice bathed Xiao's Yan' s exhausted nerves, his tension and restlessness dissipating instantly. In Heine's presence, Xiao Yan's heart felt secure and stable.

His forehead was pressed against his chest and he heard his heavy steady heartbeat. In this moment, Xiao Yan realized how important Maya was to Heine. Otherwise such a cold and unapproachable man would not use such an intimate way to express his gratitude.
The feeling of being wrapped in Heine's strength was fleeting. In the next moment he had stepped away, gently pushing Xiao back.

The control room fell into a still silence, Xiao Yan could almost hear his own heart beat. Maya laid back on the sofa staring at the ceiling and Heine silently wiped down his blade.

Ten minutes later, Liv and Mark arrived.

When they saw Maya's condition, Xiao Yan could see the shock briefly skate across their expressions, but they accepted everything calmly.

"Maya! You actually emerged alive under such a siege. Quite amazing." Mark patted Maya's shoulder and said, "You think this injury will take you off the front line, so you can live in leisure?"

"Oh! I think so!" Maya replied triumphantly.

"Ugh! Come one, without you our combat ability will drop tenfold." Liv playfully exclaimed.

"Ah, I didn't know that I was so important!"

Unfortunately, an hour later, only two more from the team made it to the platform.

The rest did not arrive.

Base 2 dispatched 3 aircraft. A female special forces officer slid down, from a high altitude, along rope. She whistled as she saw Maya being escorted out by Mark.

"God, Maya who cut you to ribbons? You okay?"

"The two who killed instructor Medwen." The female's expression became instantly severe.

"What happened to them?"

"Dead."

"You killed them?"

Maya squeezed Xiao Yan's face. "I did. With this guy!"

Not a single badge decorated Xiao Yan's uniform.

The female elite revealed a shocked expression and then broke into a grateful smile.

"Good going tech soldier."

"Ah, Xiao Yan, allow me to introduce to you, Sharon, one of the 3 goddesses of our special task force."

Xiao stood stunned at the woman standing in front of him. Dark brown hair swept down her back, she had wide eyes and full sensual lips. His gaze mapped the elegant contours of her face, she was quite beautiful.

And she held an even higher rank than Liv.

As she spotted Heine Burton she adopted a strong stance and firm military salute, "Colonel."

"Hm." Heine nodded in response and adjusted the rope attached to the aircraft. Then he moved back to Xiao Yan's side, and pulled him into his arms without a word.

Before Xiao Yan could register his movements, he was swept up in his grip and the rope rapidly lifted him to the craft.

The minute Heine stepped foot inside, he tossed Xiao Yan into a seat in the cabin, locking his safety harness for him.

Xiao thought back to the time at the power plant when Heine had abandoned him because of that accidental kiss. This time he personally brought him up, had he finally gained some recognition from Colonel Burton?
Soon Maya, Mark and Liv made it into the cabin and the aircraft set off to base 2.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Maya used his right hand to flick Xiao Yan's forehead.

"...we will not be attacked again?"

"Ah?" Maya shook her head. "These three aircraft are not just led by Colonel Burton, but also the elite force of Jane Wallis. Sharon is a member of Jane's team."

"Ah? Jane Wallis?" Xiao Yan thinks for a minute, finding this name very familiar. He seems to recall hearing the name in the news before, but can't remember the details.