Chapter 69 Change Your Fate

Casey, who had been dying a moment before, suddenly sat up and laughed. His left hand wiped the blood from his head and pulled the blade from his stomach. In his right hand was miniature injection gun.

It was then that Xiao realized that Heine was pressing a hand against his leg.

His pupil contracted spasmodically as his heart sank, pushing his body into a terrible tremor.

"Casey... What have you done?"

Xiao Yan looked at his old friend with an incredulous expression.

Casey's innocent cherubic features suddenly widened into a predatory devil's grin.

"Isn't your IQ quite high? Can you not figure out what I have done?"

He had injected some type of drug into Heine's body, but Xiao Yan does not know what the function of the particular agent is.

"Heh! Everyone thought that I was researching the x-2 all this time. Comparing our brain speeds, I am similar to you. How could I not have a breakthrough after so much time? If I were really studying that, wouldn't I have had similar progress?"

Casey pulled at his blood soaked clothes, seemingly disgusted by the filth.

"What were you studying?" Xiao's voice broke apart and shook. Everything seemed like a nightmare, a trick of the mind.

Casey had earned his rank based on his cutting edge theory of the x-2 virus, but his project never moved further than his initial proposal. That means he wasn't working on x-2 at all.

"An accelerator. It causes a massive rapid replication of the x-virus. Draining the body's strength and nutrients a hundredfold. Rest assured it has been thoroughly tested, thanks to the Shire's resources and the military's decision to force independent projects. Otherwise it would have been difficult for me to finish synthesizing it while under close scrutiny. Ah, it looks like Heine is already having difficulty breathing."

Heine's face gave nothing away, and the fingers gripping his wrist were still locked firmly around him. Yet, Xiao's heart was filled with a horrible premonition.

"Colonel Burton. You have been holding more than all of my experimental data. Xiao Yan, I advise you to come with me now. Don't worry, I will protect you. I will not let anyone harm you or touch your brain."

Casey's mouth lifted in a rather helpless smile. Xiao Yan had not seen such an expression from him for many years.

He removed his stained lab coat and took a clean one from the closet. His movements were paced to give Xiao time to consider his offer.

As Casey changed, Xiao noticed that there was no trace of the wound on his body.

"You...injected yourself with the x virus?"

"I didn't give it to myself, I was injected with the x virus when I was still an embryo."

Casey turned and gave him a comforting smile, then he stepped closer to Xiao Yan.

"Unlike these special forces who accept the x viruses in adulthood, my fusion with the virus is much stronger. They have only ten years of life, and I have 20 to 30 years after entering adulthood. It doesn't sound long enough, but with you...I think we can solve this problem together."

"..." Xiao Yan was shocked by Casey's admission.

As an embryo? So was his mother infected? Such experimentation is forbidden within the Shire, not to mention the instability of the virus within a fetus, the likelihood of survival would be less than 1 in 10,000. What the hell was going on?