Chapter 98 Part 1 Fire

The warship was coated in pitch. A distinct feeling of violence wove through the darkness and Xiao briefly sensed Valentin's presence. He realized that he must be more careful with his thoughts and he quickly pulled away from the system.

His eyes gradually focused and he took a deep breath of relief as reality slowly settled in. Disoriented and shaky, he was met with a river of blood. The crimson soaked scene slowly coalesced in front of him.

"What happened......"

He saw that the passages were closed and Casey was leaning his head against the wall. Both Mark and Winn looked on stunned.

He saw that Casey's legs were severed below the knee and his heart tightened before bursting into pain at seeing his friends in such a state. His breath caught in his throat and his eyes misted, blurring his sight.

"Casey...your legs!" Xiao Yan rushed over to Casey, feeling his knees, confirming that was he saw was real.

Casey gave him a wry grin and pointed to the node. "They are on the other side of the door."

"You closed the door..."

Xiao Yan was surprised by this. Valentin controlled the access channels, How did Casey get past Valentin?

"All the nodes have emergency overrides and will automatically shut down when they encounter an obstacle. This is a safety response that the system doesn't control.I shut it down using this... they won't open again. There is no turning back, Xiao Yan." Casey's lips curved at the corners, his eyes glimmered with a hint of pride.

"We can carry you." Xiao Yan swallowed around the lump in his throat, he wanted to take Casey with him but he shook his head.

"Taking me will only slow you down. I will be a burden. As you continue, everything will be controlled by Valentin. He will have assassins all around him."

"So we are suppose to just leave you here?!" Xiao was adamantly opposed.

But Casey's expression was cold and resolute. Gone was the impish boy and in its place was a full grown man.

"Yes Major. I want you to leave me. You will push forward and likely encounter more problems. I will stay here and use the portable terminal to assist you. I will open the nodes to the channels and guard the edge of your thoughts. You just have to keep moving forward."

"Casey!"

"Xiao Yan, you are Valentin's match. Staying here is the only way for me to help you. Make sure you find Jane. His body is his own. It does not belong to Valentin." Casey closed his eyes wearily and his voice grew even colder and stern. "Don't lose sight of the goal. If you aren't willing to make sacrifices you will not succeed. If you hesitate you have already lost. You will fail, not only me and Heine, but everyone who followed you here...the entire Shire. It is all on you."

Xiao clenched his fists, his nails cutting into his palm.

"You have to remember that your thoughts are your own, no matter where you go. Be it Valentin's brain, mine...anyone's. You control reality. Reality is only what we accept to be true. You can create another reality. Go. You understand that if you hesitate, or go soft...once you know your goal you will pay dearly for it...more than you have already lost."

Xiao Yan clenched his teeth and paced restlessly, his stride gaining momentum.

It is very clear that he can no longer turn back.

It was as Heine said, all suffering must be left behind him.

Winn followed Xiao.

Heine lowered his head and removed his gun from his waist to give it to Casey.

"You cannot die here."

"Is that an order Colonel?" Casey glanced up and obediently took the gun.

"Protect Xiao Yan, he must not die here."

Thrive in Catastrophe by 焦糖冬瓜On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara