Chapter 80 Reboot

"You are the one who transferred Xiao Yan to his own research project. If you hadn't perhaps I never would have run into him."

"There were countless researchers in my lab! You didn't fall in love with them. On the contrary, Xiao Yan is the only one who never failed to comfort me!" Casey broke out in a yell.

"Hmm....I should be with him in Shire." The expression on Jane's face became unreadable.

"Well if you want to see him so badly I can always send you back to the Shire."

"Don't worry so much, we will definitely meet again."

"Hey, Jane."

"Hm?"

'He is not for you. You can do whatever you want in this world, you can control your survival...your death...but you can't have Xiao Yan."

"It is not that he is not for me, it is that I don't suit him. I won't do anything stupid." Jane wearily closed his eyes.

"What stupid thing?"

"For example, act like Valentin and subvert the orders of the world to achieve what I want. Even if everything turns on its head, my impression of Xiao Yan will remain...and the reality of his feelings will stay the same."

"You are self-aware at least." Casey snorted but didn't push the conversation further.
__________

The antiviral agent was sent back to the Shire and the medics injected Xiao Yan with the drug after confirming its safety. Throughout the process, Ervel ,Gordon and even Xia monitored Xiao's brain waves.

As the drug pushes into Xiao Yan's body, everyone stood with bated breath. His neural feedback slowly gains activity and the holographic display monitors the progress.

He murmurs in his sleep and turns over.

Xia stands in front of the screen and chuckles. "He is dreaming, that is a good sign. It means there is subconscious activity."

Gordon and Ervel looked at each other and let out a collective sigh of relief.

The medical unit said that Xiao Yan's signs were normal, and now he only needs to wake up.
Ervel personally tested Xiao's blood and found that the suffix was gradually degrading. Xiao Yan is transferred from the isolation ward to a regular room.

"This antiviral agent was developed by Casey. Does this make you happy?" Major General Gordon twitched his lips, and if there was a deeper meaning to his smile.

"Jane Wallace has escaped again. You will feel gratified only if you know where he is going. The Surge will spare no effort to hunt down Jane. He has become the perfect bait, now you only need to wait for Valentine to appear."

"This is either an opportunity or a disaster." Gordon laughed to himself. "But to survive, perhaps desperation is necessary."

Xiao Yan, who has slept fitfully this whole time, finally licks his lips and opens his eyes.

Someone is lying next to him. Arms circle his neck and his back is pressed against a solid heat. A steady stroking motion gently grazes his forehead continuously.

Xiao Yan shifted lazily and opened his eyes.

The sight of a powerful jaw line leaves Xiao Yan stunned.

This... is a man!

Xiao Yan clearly saw who that man was and every cell in his body shuddered violently. His body followed suit and he almost fell from the bed before he was caught by a strong arm.

"B--... Colonel Burton!"

What the hell? What happened? How could he be lying with Colonel Burton?

"You are awake. Is there any discomfort?"

Xiao looked around to discover that he wasn't in his room. This place was too sparse and simple, there was no sense warmth. As a medic walked in, Xiao realized that he was in the hospital.

Heine was lying on his side, still in uniform, holding Xiao tightly to his chest. A distressed Xiao Yan felt his breath freeze in his throat.

What was going on? Did Burton crush his shoulders? Twist his arm off? Though he feels there is more wrong with his head than anything else.

The medic walked up to Xiao Yan and a performed a comprehensive examination. He asked several questions and they seemed quite satisfied with his answers.

"These are all questions related to mental acuity. Questions that utilize logic, spatial reasoning, and deduction....but what happened?"

Heine was now seated on the side of the bed. Xiao watched his brow as his hand reached toward him, sweeping his hair to the side. Xiao felt his heart beat through his chest. Ah, how could he be so careless, this man will not hesitate to twist off his arm!

Finally the Major, who was responsible for Xiao's treatment, explained the situation to him. Throughout his explanation, Xiao sat with an utterly blank look on his face.

"What...you said I was kidnapped by Jane Wallace? He was undercover with the Surge? Even Casey was..."

Xiao Yan was mentally in the same space he was when he and Casey would play around in the central square. A memory flashed faintly through him. He saw himself sitting in a corner, his heart tight with anticipation. Jane Wallace walks in and injects him with the x-virus. Then the memory abruptly cuts off and everything slips through his mind like grains of sand. All his memories are disordered and muddled, messily entangled and wrapping around the other in fragments.

The man next to him leaned down with one hand grasping his waist, the other cupped his face and his breath dragged his thoughts to the present.