Chapter 64 Where Is My Brain

Ervel stroked his chin. "If I remember correctly you have some whiskey in your office."

"You such a drunkard." Gordon mocked him as he poured a half a glass of whiskey.

Ervel sips the whiskey, and then leans his head back against the couch with his eyes closed. His face is slightly strained. He doesn't know what to think of the situation.

"The military is beefing up security at the Institute, but there are not enough special forces to completely secure it. The best approach would be to have the most important research conducted here at The Special Forces headquarters."

Gordon shrugged his shoulder as he chuckled wryly. "You say this after we have just had our main system hacked."

"The system here is still the most secure. Our most important military base has now completely collapsed. It is one matter to compromise the situation from the outside, but from the inside... that leaves only one possibility. The Surge are among us."

"Once Xiao Yan is transferred, I can have my most elite accompany him for protection."

Ervel shook his head. "Here Xiao is in the midst of the special forces. Even with the Surge here, it would be difficult to cause enough chaos to get to Xiao Yan. But if we transfer him back to the Academy, how effective can a handful of forces be in comparison? The Surge used the hacking of your system as a smoke bomb to get us to transfer Xiao Yan back to the Central Academy of Sciences where it would be more convenient to get to him. They are trying to herd him."

Hearing this, Xiao's back broke into a cold sweat. If this was as Ervel has predicted, then his situation is quite dire.

He is now the primary and possibly only target of the Surge.

Gordon sighed. "Your reasoning is solid."

Ervel waves his hand, motioning for Xiao to sit next to him.

'Xiao Yan we will complete the setup of your lab. You will have your own secure database. To ensure the confidentiality of your research, there will not be any assistants assigned to your project. I assume you don't have need of any."

Xiao Yan was still digesting Ervel's words. Even if they isolate and protect his research room, there is always a gap in security. It is only a matter a time before the Surge finds it. No system is foolproof.

Seeing Xiao's face line with worry, Ervel smoothed his brow. "Child, do you know what the best protection is?"

"..."

"It is here." He points a finger to Xioa's forehead. "Your brain. When it is open to everything, it is easy to compromise. But when your thoughts are more complicated and focused, it is unbreakable. Now, I'm sure what happened today has been exhausting. You should get some rest."

Xiao Yan stood and walked out of the door. Heine was leaning against the wall waiting for him.

"Colonel Burton, General Ervel will meet you."

Heine walked over Xiao Yan's side and said, "wait here for me ."

"Yes."

Heine entered the door, and Xiao Yan waited in the passageway, the liaison officer was unable to see him around the bend in the hallway.

Someone quietly walked toward him and slammed against his waist, picking him up with both hands. His reaction dissolved into adrenaline and instinct. He struggled to break his opponent's hold, but the difference in their power was instantly apparent.

"Who--"