Chapter 25 King Kong Barbie

As Xiao Yan slept, his thoughts drifted over cresting waves, wandering aimlessly through the waters of his mind, until they settled and coalesced at his old life

.... a mere few days ago.

A time when he was living a carefree life in the Shire.

The bright green grass exudes subtle hues and light, as the breeze undulates and brushes gently against the blades of grass.

Xiao's body is slightly curled and his dark hair obscures his forehead. He is laying amid the dancing grass. His uniform is adorned with the atom symbol, the badge affiliated with the academy of sciences.

He is in the central square, a large monument reaching up into the sky, with names etched along the surface.

Across from the square is the maglev train and the shopping center's LED projections constantly transform into various advertisements, the light from the display drifting over the square.

A person is sneaking close to him. A young boy around 16 years of age with golden hair, slightly curled at he ends. His eyes sparkle like a green gemstone, and his lips are curled into an impish smile. His expression gives his face a cherubic appearance, like a perfect porcelain doll in a shop window. His angelic looks are so striking, people can't help but stare.

Xiao Yan is still laying on his side and his mouth lifts in a smile and he keeps his eyes closed as he becomes aware of the person's approach.

The boy excitedly throws himself on top of him and Xioa Yan opens his eyes in mockery and feigned surprise.

"You scared me Casey. Such a bad guy!"

"So when bad guys approach you, you don't mind?"

Casey was of a very small stature, but his strength was astounding. Xiao Yan's wrists were pressed down by Casey's grip, he couldn't move them at all. He sat on top of Xiao Yan's waist and leaned forward, exposing a long and slender neck.

If any other guy had entangled themselves with Xiao Yan in such a position, things would have gotten combative. Casey is special. Xiao Yan enjoys all his childish mannerisms, with the exception of his temper.

"You're so heavy, have you gotten taller? Xiao yan playfully blows onto Casey's nose.

"Are you trying to butter me up? In a whole year, I haven't even gained a centimeter. Here you go again. It's already the end of the semester and you are still a B student. There is no way you can enter into the core curriculum of the Central Academy of Sciences. You will never see the highest level of the system. You will always be less than me."

Casey arrogantly tightened his grip on his wrists and watched Xiao Yan's face twist in pain.

The Academy's main control system runs the entirety of the Shire and is where all confidential research is stored and archived. The operators of the system are called "linkers" and are the elite of the Shire. It is the goal of each Academy of Sciences student to beat the best.

"It has never been my goal to enter the core program of the Academy of Sciences. I want to get out of the Shire."

Casey's shoulders stiffened and the gleam in his eyes dulled to a stern stare, even his voice dropped into a chilly register. Xiao Yan's wrist bones cracked beneath the pressure Casey was exerting.

"What nonsense are you talking about? Leave the Shire? Do you know what the world is like out there? A zombie can easily tear you apart and gorge himself on your flesh."

Xiao Yan sighed longingly looking up at the blue sky that seemed so far away.

"Casey do you know what is above us?"

"The sky." Casey snorted and sneered down at him.

"I want to see the real sky, Casey. Aren't you curious too? What does the air smell like outside? How does the wind feel as it blows across your face? And..."

"This isn't here or there. Why do you think all the techs strive to become elite A class students in school? Because they don't want to go outside! Why do you want to? Do you know that last research ream that left? On their way to the base, they were invaded by a blocker from the Surge and their craft crashed. The special forces that investigated came back with nothing but bones. They could only identify them through DNA sequencing! Is this what you want to become of you? You want your name to join those on that monument over there ?! Do you want to be remembered like that?"