Chapter 39 What Is So Special About You

"I was urgently called back, seems the Shire needed me here more."

"Oh" Xiao went to leave but before he could turn around Jane grabbed him arm.

"Where are you going?"

His breath was hot and too close against his ear, Xiao wanted to throw him off but, with his level of strength, it wasn't possible. "Back to my dorm. The torture specialist don't--"

"You don't understand. Starting now, you are under my supervision." Jane laughed but there was a more sinister bite to his joking tone than before.

"What? Wha-Why are you supervising me? I am part of the Central Academy of Sciences! Are you messing with me" Xiao frowned.

Jane reached out and Xiao shrank back but his fingers swept over his brows, smoothing out the worried crease between them. "I am not playing with you. I am serious."

"How?"

"At the end of his interrogation, Casey will be under the protection of the Special Mission Forces" he said. "You are his research assistant and you are also heading your own project, right. A project that will be under your name. The Academy wants you to continue your research, but it isn't safe right now, therefore, I will be here to protect you. Night and Day. We will be inseparable."

"Even if the Shire ceases to exist, the Earth will keep spinning. It just a loss of 1/5 of staff. Might as well just get some fresh blood. If the institute stops their research then isn't it the same as flushing the future away. Isn't that what the Surge wants?" Jane speaks like an wisened old sage.

This is the way it is.

"But Casey isn't here. They want me to complete my project alone?" Xiao Feels it is all ridiculous.

"Even if Casey isn't here, he isn't involved is he? I thought it was just you...Or is it that..." Jane lips tilted in a sinister curve and he leaned toward Xiao Yan, breathing in unison with him.

"Perhaps you wanted Major Maya to be the one to watch over you?"

"Maya?" Xiao's brow pulled slightly as he looked at Jane in confusion. Why was he mentioning Maya?

"He is quite tender with you." Jane leaned his arm against the wall and grinned provocatively.

"Your imagination is quite rich." Xiao Yan looked back at him with a stern expression. He turned to leave. Obviously, Jane had seen him with Maya outside the bar.

So what of it? He could hang out with whoever he wanted. Xiao Yan liked being around Maya, not to mention Maya was his friend.

Xiao Yan brushed off his words as nothing more than a joke. With that guy, 9 of 10 words were nothing more than a lie. He just wanted to go back to his apartment and sleep.

He walked out of the institute and Jane followed him in a very casual manner. He could feel the gossip gather around him as he walked through the campus. Their eyes seemed to implicate him as Colonel Wallace's pet; his new target.

As Xiao Yan waved down a maglev vehicle, Jane jumped inside as though it were the most natural thing to do.

"Hey! What are you doing? Go bother someone else, isn't there anyone in your unit you can hang out with? Anything else you have to do?"

"They have their own researchers to supervise."

"I'm sure they do, they are all probably looking after the A class elites. I am nothing more than B class, a waste of resources. You are the Commander of a whole team of Special Task Force elites, why would you be assigned to me? Incredible..." Xiao shook his head at the whole absurd situation and turned to look out the window.