56

* * *

* * *

Staring down at her arm, Hattie sat beside Draco, his other arm around her waist holding her close. Since she agreed to all the terms her Auntie Bella had asked her to they were allowed to see each other. The pair put their arms together and for once Hattie's looked similar to Draco's. The dark snake had hidden her scars so it looked alike to his which was scar-free. It made her pale skin look a brighter shade of white.

"It's suits you," Draco told her, ticking some hair behind her ears.

"You really think so?"

He nodded his head and hugged her, "I sure do, Hattie." He glanced down at his watch, "I'm sorry, I have to go with my father for a few days."

Hattie pouted but let him leave her with a kiss on her head. The girl leaned back on the bed in the darkness her feet hanging off the edge in the boots. The draft coming in from the window nipping at her bare legs.

There was a knock at the door before it creaked open. Bellatrix stepped in and flicked the light on, shutting the door behind her.

"How is my little cherub?" She asked, sitting beside Hattie and running her fingers through her hair guiding her to lay down with her head on her lap.

Hattie shrugged, "meh."

Bellatrix understood. She lifted her arms up which were no longer covered by the lace of the dress she wore on the day of her agreement. Bellatrix ran her fingers along the girls' scars staring down at them with a smirk. "I bet Sirius claimed you were hurting him."

"All the time."

Bellatrix cackled, "aw, ickle Siri always thinking about himself even when his daughter is the one being hurt."

Hattie giggled, "very true. Auntie Bella?"

"Yes, cherub?"

"When I die, tell him."

"It will be my pleasure."

* * *

Charlie had a day off and wanted to surprise Hattie and his family in order to cheer the girl up. She had made so much progress when he last saw her and can't wait to see how much more she had improved by.

He picked up his stuff apparating to England. He arrived at the Marauders' house and entered without knocking like usual.

"Good morning!" He called out and stepped into the living room to where everyone was sat looking like they hadn't slept in years. "What's wrong?" He searched the room and made eye contact with his mother who shook her head looking away. "Where's Hattie?"

"Ask Remus." Spat Sirius.

Remus leaped up and dove towards Sirius ready to punch him when James and Peter held him back. Sirius stood up, squaring at Remus who was trying to get at the man despite being held back.

"This...isn't...helping!" Cried out James pushing Remus back onto the sofa and sitting on him.

Charlie looked between them all once more. "Where is Hattie?" He repeated. "Where is she?!"

"She relapsed, Charlie," Said Ginny quietly, her strong demeanour faltering ever-so-slightly, "she was in hospital and then she kicked up a storm when a healer tried to change her bandages. She made a run for it. Remus went after her but she disappeared."

Charlie dropped to his knees, "how long for?"

Percy put his arm around his older brother, holding him close. "About three weeks."

Charlie shook his head. He couldn't believe it. He didn't want to believe it. She was getting better! He knew she was! She was so happy in Romania with him, the dragons and Gilbert! How? What? Why? No!

"Have you searched for her?"

"We haven't stopped. Dumbledore is trying to trace her but it seems that wherever she is has protective enchantments which block the tracker." Explained his father, "we have been out on foot as well. We hoped she had turned up in Romania somehow with you. Clearly not.

He did the only thing he could think of. Charlie ran. He ran out of the house and down the country roads to nowhere in particular. He was screaming Hattie's names. Just screaming and screaming until his voice gave out and so did his legs. He dropped down by a tree.

He knew this tree.

It was the tree that he and everyone else would have a picnic by when visiting the marauders. But he also knew this was Hattie's tree. From the H and the B carved into the trunk he knew this was her special spot that she must have gone to when she wanted to cry. When she wanted to let herself go without the fear of being caught. The same tree that she must have fallen out of on her birthday.

He leaned against it, his hand pressing against the two initials and he cried. Charlie cried like he had never cried before. His heart wrenched and it literally felt like it was splitting.

She was gone.

His baby girl gone.

Lost.

His baby girl...