Chapter Twenty-Eight: I Think I'm Losing My Mind

Dimitri left at some point late last night, but I didn't really notice. Mostly because I was freaking out.

Gianna Lopez is sleeping over at my house.

What kind of twisted joke is that, Universe?

I sit on the couch, hunched over, looking at my phone. I have a blanket draped over my back and I'm reading an article about why people believe they shouldn't vaccinate their kids, when I hear someone shuffling behind me.

I turn around to look at who it is and see Gianna standing there. She wears one of my t-shirts and it goes down to her mid thigh. She also has on a pair of my moms pyjama shorts since we haven't gone to pick up her stuff yet.

Her hair is wet from showering and she has no makeup on.

"Hey, uh, what's up?" I ask, standing up and fully turning to face her.

She stares at me in silence, looking at my chest. I look down to see what she's looking at and remember that I'm not wearing a shirt.

I scratch the back of my head, looking at my feet awkwardly.

Gianna takes a breath. "I was just coming to say I'm going to bed now." She says and tucks her hair behind her ear.

My chest constricts a bit and I inhale a sharp breath to counter it. "Oh-okay. Well, goodnight." I reply awkwardly and sit back down.

I can sense her lingering in the living room, before slowly retreating back to my room, mumbling a 'goodnight' under her breath as she leaves. I exhale and lay down on the couch, looking up at the ceiling.

And at some point, I guess I must've fallen asleep, because I wake up with a start when I hear a noise coming from somewhere around me.

It sounds like static almost.

The TV isn't on, so that can't be it.

Suddenly, a purple light forms beside me and I close my eyes and pretend to be asleep.

What the hell is Plasma doing here?

I peek through my eyelashes slightly and see her appear. She wears sweatpants and a baggy sweater—something I've never seen her wear before. She's usually all done up with makeup and fancy clothes.

Her eyes land on me and I freeze.

She comes closer, inspecting me. I feel her hand go through my hair.

"Arlo," she says softly, almost strained, "I am so, so sorry."

I stay quiet.

"I realize now that what he's doing isn't... well... it isn't good. But I can't stop or he'll kill me and everyone I care about. Including you."

She starts to cry and I have to fight the urge to speak to her.

She sighs. "And I'm so sorry for what I have to do right now..."

Wait... what does that mean?

She stands up and starts walking towards my bedroom. "I have to do the job that One and Two, as you call them, failed to do."

Plasma opens my bedroom door slowly, the hinges creaking slightly.

My heart starts pumping as the adrenaline begins to set in.

Holy shit.

She's going to kill her.

I speed upright and fly across the apartment towards my room.