Popcorn (X Chris)

Josh's POV

"I don't think I can do this, Josh," Chris stated nervously from the other end of the phone call.

"Cochise, you have been crushing on Y/N, my best friend! For like four months. She doesn't even know that you exist. This is happening, I'm honestly surprised you haven't run into each other yet. Considering you work at the only movie theatre in town," I argued.

"I-I- don't know J-"

       I noticed Y/N walking up to my door from my little lookout spot on the balcony.

"Y/N is here, gotta go. See you soon, Cochise," I stated as I hung up the phone.

"Dad! I got it!" I yelled.

      I ran downstairs and straight to the front door. I flung it open before Y/N even had the chance to knock. She jumped back and screamed, then put her hands on her knees to catch her breath.

"Someone is eager to go to the movies," She laughed.

"I just have a feeling something cool will happen," I replied.

"At the movies?"

"Yes. Why not?" I stated happily.

      Y/N sighed happily as I grabbed my keys and ushered her to my old car. We hopped in and drove off to the movies. I shot Chris a little text to tell him we were on our way.

Chris's POV

       I just handed another customer their popcorn.

"Have a nice day," I stated happily.

"Thank you, sir," The lady replied.

      I turned back to the popcorn machine to get it making more popcorn again.

"How can you still stay happy? You have been working here for a year! And honestly, how can you still eat popcorn? The smell disgusts me," Tommy, my moody coworker complained.

"I don't know. I love working here. Seeing the smiles on the little kid's faces is a good part. When I hand them their popcorn and their eyes go wide from pure joy and they smile from ear to ear. It's a cute moment. Kind of fuels me."

      Tommy rolled his eyes and walked back to his register. I felt my phone vibrate in my left pocket. I pulled it out quickly to see a text from Josh.

Josh: Hey. Y/N and I are on our way. Be there in five minutes.

      Oh, God. I fixed my bow tie on my red and white uniform. I checked my hair my glasses then sighed softly. I can't believe this is actually happening. I watched the front door carefully until I saw Josh and Y/N arrive.

Josh's POV

     I opened the door for Y/N and she walked ahead of me then waited. I scanned the times for the movies as Y/N looked around.

"Oh my god!" She squealed causing me to jump back.

"Jesus, woman. You scared the living shit out of me!" I replied.

"No, Joshie. Look! The guy in glasses at the concession stand. He's the cute nerd from school," Y/N stated.

"The blonde one?" I asked, in need of reassurance. 

"Yeah. He's so cute, he never talks to me though."

"Yeah, he's kind of an awkward nerd."

"But that's what makes him cute."

"Why don't you go ask for his number then?"

"I don't know, I'm kind of nervous."

"Come on. The beautiful, intelligent, perfect Y/N. Is afraid of asking the dorky Christopher Hartley."

"Yes!" She replied quickly.

"C' mon" I started as I pulled her towards Chris.

      We stood in line and waited to get to Chris. I kept catching him staring at Y/N subtly while getting popcorn for the customers. As we reached the front of the line, I could truly see how much Chris was sweating from nervousness.

"G-Good Evening, and what can I get for you two?" He asked politely with an awkward smile.

"Umm, can I get a large popcorn please and a soda?" Y/N asked.

"Why yes, one moment please," Chris replied.

       Chris turned around and I decided to mess with him.

"What history book did you crawl out of?" I asked jokingly.

"I-I- what?"

"The way you're speaking, you sound all proper when you never sound like this," I laughed.

"O-Oh, I don't know."

       Chris handed Y/N her stuff and gave her a bright smile.

"Thank you," She took a moment to glance at his name tag, "Chris."

      Chris blushed a little and turned to me.

"Josh, what would you like?" he asked.

"Just a soda," I replied.

       Chris turned around and when he went to hand me my drink... I decided to stray from the plan. I let it slip and fall to the floor, spilling all over my jeans.

"Fuck!" I exclaimed.

"Josh, I'm so sorry! I thought you had a grip on it."

"It's fine. Here, Y/N. Take the tickets and go watch the movie yourself. I need to get home and change."

"I don't want to watch the movie alone."

"Chris! You're off your shift. Please get out of here so I don't have to see your stupid face anymore!" Tommy yelled.

"Hey. I've got an idea. Chris, why don't you go with Y/N. Get to know each other. It'll be fun."

"I mean, if you'd like for me to go, Y/N. I'd be happy to."

"Sure, sounds like fun," she replied.

      I handed Y/N the tickets and watched the two walk off. Later that day I received a text from the both of them.

Chris and Y/N (separate text threads): You planned this, didn't you?

Me: Yep. lol 😝

Chris and Y/N: Thank you so much!