Chapter Twenty-Eight: New Tactics

Once again, face to face with an old enemy. The same spot you started. I run faster, not counting. Not caring. Not wondering. I rush forward, passing the stick triumphantly.

I finish in a small jog to the wooden table, where Mrs. Smith sat, sighing. I smile. Today's race ended early too.

She must've realized you were always a winner.

I sit down at the bench, soon feeling my checks burn and my breathing become heavy. The feelings of being replenished with energy are gone, and now I feel exhausted.

Loud stomping and more pants are heard. I turn around to see in the same order as yesterday; Yuri, Sayori and Natsuki were tied behind her, run into the clearing.

Natsuki waddled over the table and sat down harshly, followed by Sayori who once seated, laid her head on the table. Yuri follows quietly.

Mrs. Smith keeps her eyes planted on me. Something tells me she's mad, but wha- Oh.

Oh. Oh. Oh no. Oh no no no. I glance around me at the tired girls; Natsuki quietly cursing as she tries to catch her breathing, Sayori's sides heaving up and down as her head was on the table, and Yuri tried to calm herself down from running.

And even though I was tired, I didn't feel like that. I glance at Mrs. Smith. "I'm sorry! I didn't even realize that-"

"It's alright." Mrs. Smith sighed. "I knew this is all new to you. You wouldn't be able to over take your urges right away." She smiles faintly. "It was a nice attempt."

Natsuki glared up and the older woman. "Did we fail again?" She asked.

Mrs. Smith shook her head. "Not exactly. I think I know what we have to work on." She stands up. "Come sit with me in a circle."

I'm the first to stand up with the elder. She took a seat on the long grass beside the table, and I sat next to her. While the others were standing up and calming down, she leaned towards me.

"Did you happen to feel strange when you were in the forest?" She asked.

I nodded. "I kept feeling like I was getting new energy to fuel me, but it faded away quickly."

Mrs. Smith smiled. "That's the forest trying to connect with you. The connection will grow over time with your powers, don't worry."

We soon form a circle, Sayori sitting beside me, Yuri beside her, and Natsuki beside Yuri and Mrs. Smith.

"Alright." Mrs. Smith says. "We won't be training with your powers yet," Mrs. Smith glares at Natsuki as she groans in annoyance. "But instead, we'll be working on your connection with each other. You four are a team." She finishes.

"But we already have a good bond." Sayori says, confused.

"Even so, the best of enemies will know that fighting physical is part of it, but messing with your opponent mentally is better." She explains.

"We have enemies?" Natsuki asked.

"I'm not sure if the dark essence will come back, like in the prophecy, but we need to train, just in case." Mrs. Smith answers before sighing. "Now, let's get to training."