Chapter 12- "Say No"

Narrator-

Liliana wouldn't see her boss for majority of the weekend spent in Rome. And as a result she spent her days resting and checking in with her parents, then Sunday evening, she called Chamille.

"Hey girly!" Chamille replied cheerfully.
"Hey, how are you feeling?" Lili greeted.
"Much better thanks. So how's everything going over in Rome?" Chamille asked, her tone similar to that of a friend inquiring about a scandalous affair.
"Boring. I've been stuck in the room since we landed. I wanted to go to the place we went to for a bite, but I didn't want to walk by myself." Liliana explained, as she plopped back on the sofa with a sigh.
"Oh? And you haven't seen Mr. Cavalier?" Chamille asked.
"No, haven't seen him since we arrived." Liliana answered, keeping her answers short and precise.
"Wait, did something happen between you two? Did he try to make a move on you and you stabbed him with a fork?" Chamille asked, and Liliana could only imagine the large grin on Chamille's face.
"Well as funny as that would be, no, nothing happened." Liliana stated, as she lied through her teeth, but couldn't keep her brain from bringing up images about the kiss she shared with the forbidden man.
"Mmmh, that's... interesting." Chamille hummed.
"Why did you say it like that?" Liliana asked, curious.
"Like what?" 
"Like you expected something to happen." Lili clarified.
"Because I did expect something to happen." Chamille admitted without holding back.
"Well you should know, I am not one to sleep with my boss, so there's no need to even think about something happening between us."
"Ah-Ha!" Chamille exclaimed, causing Lili to pull the phone from her ear.
"What? What?" Liliana asked, her tone rushed and surprised.
"Something did happen." Chamille revealed, and her tone caused Liliana to gulp, her throat running dry.
"What are you talking about?" Lili asked, trying to keep her tone calm.
"Yeah, you became super defensive, and that only happens after you've had a close encounter with him. And don't even bother denying it, now spill." Chamille ordered.
"Spill what?" Liliana asked, frowning.
"The details, the tea." Chamille urged.
"There's not much to tell..." Liliana trailed off.
"Lili." Chamille called out, and Liliana groaned, face palming herself as she frowned, feeling the embarrassed blush creeping on her face.
"Chamille, please, just, let it go." Liliana begged. She wasn't one to kiss and tell.
"Alright, alright." Chamille let it go.
"Thank you, by the way, have you heard from Carlos? How's he doing?" Liliana asked, changing the subject.
"He's doing better. He was discharged overnight, and should be back to work in no time." Chamille explained.
"Can I have his number? I think it would be rude of me if I didn't check in on him." Liliana asked, hoping Chamille didn't make anything out her request.
"Yeah sure. Do you have a pen?" Chamille asked, and Liliana had to admit she was somewhat shocked that Chamille gave her the number without asking any questions.

After getting Carlos' number and chatting for a little while longer, the phone call ended between Liliana and Chamille, then Lili called Carlos.

The phone rang for a few, and Liliana almost hung up, when Carlos answered "hello?"
"Hey Carlos, how are you?" Liliana asked, unaware of the smile that sat on her lips.
"Doing okay, thank you...?"
"Oh its Liliana, sorry, I just wanted to make sure you were doing better." Lili stated, before cringing as she realized she probably creeped him out a little.
"Oh hey! How are you?" Carlos asked, his tone instantly warming up.
"I'm okay, Chamille gave me your number, if that's okay." Liliana explained.
"Oh yeah it's fine. I was actually planning on asking her for your number, but I guess you beat me to it." Carlos stated, and Liliana's smile widened as she could feel Carlos' smile from his words.
"Well I figured it would be rude of me to not check in on you. You were one of the first people to welcome me aboard." Liliana explained, as she absentmindedly began playing and twirling her hair.
"Oh? So this call was not because you missed my handsome face?" Carlos asked, feigning hurt.
"What handsome face?" Liliana questioned, mocking confusion.
"Hey be nice to me, I was just in a car accident." Carlos played along.
"Mmh, fair enough." Lili ceded, then she giggled.
"What you doin'?" Carlos asked, his tone casual, making Liliana feel extremely relaxed.
"Oh nothing, just sitting in Rome, looking at my ceiling." Lili admitted.
"So let me get this straight, you're in a beautiful country, and all you can look at is the ceiling?" Carlos asked, though Liliana could hear the flirtatious tone in his words.
"Well I don't have anybody to accompany me to tour the city, and I'm pretty sure you can't top my answer sir, so what are you doing?" Liliana replied, unable to keep herself from matching his tone.
"If you must know, I am currently on the phone with a beautiful woman, and we're just vibing." Carlos stated easily, as if his flirting wasn't making Liliana blush like crazy.
"Vibing?" Liliana asked as she giggle.
"Yeah, we're feeling each other, I'm even thinking of shooting my shot." Carlos stated boldly, and that caught Liliana's attention.
"Oh? Think she'll say yes?" Liliana asked, feeling her heart flutter, her stomach awake with butterflies.
"We'll see." Carlos answered, his tone still relaxing.
"Mmh." Liliana hummed, her smile frozen on her lips.
"Liliana?" Carlos called out.
"Yes Carlos?" Liliana replied, her tone playful and flirty.
"Would you like to have dinner with me Tuesday night?" Carlos asked coolly, and Lili felt her heart skip with joy, but of course she wasn't going to let Carlos know that.
"Mmh I don't know..." Liliana stated as she trailed off.
"Oh come on, I'm desperate here." Carlos groaned, and Lili giggled as she said "alright, if you insist." 
"Thank you, I look forward to an amazing evening." Carlos replied, and Liliana rolled her eyes as she said "yeah, just don't put your expectations to high."
"I wouldn't dream of it." Carlos answered.