Chapter 44: Confrontation

Li Yan's grandfather lived in the old Jiang home that was located quite a distance away from the centre of the city. After she ate lunch with Chen Qingyang, Li Yan took a taxi to the Jiang home.

The street traffic was quite smooth at this time. The taxi driver drove comfortably for the entire route while happily humming a little tune. Li Yan looked out the window at the scenery that flashed by as she tried to sort out what she would say to her grandfather later.

The phone suddenly vibrated, making her jump a little. She took out her cell phone and saw that the caller ID flashed the name Xiang Yunze. After being shocked for a moment, Li Yan nervously picked up the phone: "Yunze Ge Ge?"

The sound of her voice calling him 'Yunze Ge Ge' made Xiang Yunze's heart waver a little, but it was not enough for him to forget the original purpose of his call: "Yan Yan, I heard from Chen Qingyang that you found a job?"

Li Yan: "..."

In reality, Shampoo was just one of Xiang Yunze's dogs!

Murmuring a response, the other side of the phone was silent for a moment before Xiang Yunze's voice resonated through quietly: "What kind of work?"

"...Web novel editing."

"What is the company's name?"

...

Hearing his tone, it seemed as if he was going to investigate all 18 generations of the company's information ah. Li Yan held the phone but did not speak. Xiang Yunze no longer waited for her reply and directly asked: "Does Uncle Li know about this?"

...

Li Yan continued to remain silent, and in the end, Xiang Yunze could only helplessly sigh, "Yan Yan, I understand the feeling of wanting to go out and work, but your body has just recovered. Can it really handle working outside?" He had watched Li Yan grow up ever since she was a child. In his eyes, she was like a clean white piece of paper, free from any impurities. He did not want her to join the world of adults so quickly, not to mention, her body also needed to be nursed back to health.

Li Yan still did not speak and Xiang Yunze could only hear her quiet breath through the phone. He bit his lip and said: "Yan Yan, you are still young, don't be so anxious. If you still want to work, you can go work in my grandfather's company." Instead of letting her go and be swindled by someone else, he could protect her under his wings.

"Yunze Ge Ge, I am 22 years old this year..." At this age, Mo Zhen had already won his first Acting Award. She was not young at all.

As for why she wanted to compare herself to Mo Zhen, she really didn't know.

But these words shocked Xiang Yunze. He understood that when one grew up they had to go and face the real world. He was less than eighteen years old when he went to America to study, but Li Yan... She did not have to face these things. He wanted to protect her for his entire life.

"I am going to arrive soon at grandpa's house. I will discuss these things properly with my family. You do not have to worry." Li Yan finished, and just as Xiang Yunze was about to reply, she hung up the phone.

Xiang Yunze listened to the busy tone on the other side of the phone as his heart gradually sunk. He wanted to protect her for his entire life, but it all depended on if the other party was willing to be protected...

Li Yan hung up the phone as the taxi stopped at the front of the old Jiang home. After paying the driver, Li Yan took a deep breath and pushed open the front gate.

This house had been built by a Jiang family ancestor and had nearly a hundred years of history in its walls. Li Yan's grandfather had lived here when he was a child; now that he was old, he was even more reluctant to leave the place he had lived in for his entire life.