e i g h t

b i l l i e

"baby, you have to let me go."

"i don't wanna." she mumbled, hugging me tighter.

"jess," i murmured, cupping her face and making her look at me. "i'll be back in a month, alright? and then i'm home with you for a month and a half."

"that's so far away from now though." she frowned.

i frowned as well, gently rubbing my thumb against her cheekbone. "i know, bubba."

"i'm gonna miss you," she pouted. "so much."

"i'm gonna miss you more." i told her before placing a kiss on her pouty lips, which, as always, made her smile.

"c'mon, billie, we've gotta go." finneas urged.

this made jj's frown come back. "listen, i love you, so so so much, and i'll text you when i land. i'll be back home and in your arms again faster than you know it, alright?"

"alright," she nodded sadly. "i love you too. forever." she said, grabbing my hand and kissing my promise ring.

"forever," i gave her a small smile. "now, you gotta let me go, my love."

she reluctantly did so, and i took a step back. "bye, jj."

"bye, bil." she mumbled.

i held my left hand in the air in a half heart shape, smiling largely when she completed it with her right hand. "i love you." i told her a final time. she said it back and i turned around, walking with fin and my parents to board our plane.

when we got on the plane, finneas sat beside me. he frowned when he saw me fidgeting with my rings as my eyes watered.

"billie, don't cry." he mumbled, rubbing my back soothingly.

"did you see how sad she was? that shit hurts, finny." i told him, bringing a hand up to wipe at my eyes.

"i know, but like you said, you'll be back faster than you know it."

"that doesn't change anything. she's still driving home right now, sad as hell because of me."

"remember what she told you? that's she's happy as long as you are?"

"yeah..."

"are you happy? do you like touring?" i nodded. "then she is too. sure, she'll miss you while you're gone, but she knows you're doing what you love."

i wiped at my eyes again, taking a shaky breath. "i know, i just... i don't know."

"you've got this, bil. i promise," he reassured, giving me a smile. "and hey, you're not alone either. claudia isn't able to come with us, so i know how you feel."

"true," i mumbled. "i'm surprised your clingy ass isn't crying." i teased with a small smile, shoving his shoulder.

"i'm not clingy!" he defended.

"yeah, you are." i grinned. when he tried to defend himself again, i put my hands over my ears. "lalala, i can't hear you!"