chapter: sixty five

Hanging By a Moment by Lifehouse

My eyes were having a hard time staying open. I was so damn tired and keeping my eyes open was impossible when all I wanted to do was fall asleep.

The gently strokes of her hand on my back was luring me to sleep faster. I kept opening my eyes, trying so hard not to fall asleep but everything around me was fading away.

But then I heard the front door shut and my head shot up. I had my eyes half open as I stared at River, who was slightly smiling at me with her hand cupping my cheek.

My head went back down to her chest and I heard her slightly chuckle as her hand found its way on my back again.

I sighed as I breathed in her scent then heard Sophie's voice. "Sorry." She half whispered.

"It's ok." River spoke softly as I kept my head down.

"Um, I have some papers for you to sign. Whenever you get the chance of course."

I felt movement but I didn't move or get up. "I'll sign them now." I heard River say.

Lifting my head up, I saw River grabbing the papers that Sophie had. I look at Sophie and she caught me staring then she slightly smiled before looking back at River.

She signed whatever papers were in her hands before giving them back to Sophie. I saw Sophie smile then place the papers in the bag that was around her arm.

Then River cupped my cheeks and smiled at me. I felt her thumbs stroke my cheeks gently. "You're so tired."

Looking over at Sophie, she was watching us before she looks at River. "Can we talk?"

River looks over at her before nodding. "Sure." She looks at me before slightly smiling, letting me move off of her as she stood up.

Watching them, they walked out the living room and I flopped down on the couch. I sighed then closed my eyes for a moment before opening them and seeing my phone on the table.

I reached over and grabbed it then saw a few messages from Eli. I saw a missed call then I decided to text him back. I saw a few texts that asked what I was doing and where I was at.

Hesitantly, I texted him back and told him I was at River's. I sighed as I knew he was going to freak but I hope I can at least try to talk to him before he does something stupid like come over again.

As I was laying there, waiting for him to text back, I heard their voices from wherever they were in the house. It wasn't loud but I could barely make out what they were saying since it was low voices.

My phone vibrated and I picked it up to see a text from Eli.

Why, Jess?

I sighed before texting him back, telling him the situation and hoping he would understand. I really don't want him mad at me for taking her back again cause I honestly think this time is the last time.

And I sure hope it is.

As I was waiting for a text back, I saw River walk back in before hearing the front door shut. I moved over to let her sit down as I watched her. "What did she want?" I felt my phone vibrate but remained looking at River.

"She just wanted to ask some questions regarding why you were here cause.. after everything I told her, it's hard for her to understand what exactly is going on." She looks at me.

Nodding, I look down at my phone. "Same thing with Eli." I sighed as I opened the text.

"I think.." River spoke which made me look over at her. "our relationship or whatever is confusing them cause it's constant back and forth." She looks at me.