chapter: fourteen

"Boo!"

I saw my mom scream before she jumped back. She held her hand over her chest before looking at me and giving me a look. "Damn it, Jess!"

Laughing, I did a little dance before smiling at her. "Did I scare you?"

"Well, of course." She shook her head then looked me up and down. "You're going as that?"

"Yes ma'am. I tested out how scary my costume was and I'd say it's pretty scary." I smiled.

She shook her head before looking upstairs. "Where's Eli?"

"Getting ready."

"I can't believe my grown kids are going trick or treating."

I gave her a look before shrugging. "What's so wrong about it? It's a timeless tradition. It's fun."

"You're twenty one and he's twenty two. Only kids go trick or treating."

"Well, guess we're still kids." I smiled as I walked away. I was in such a great mood that nothing could bring me down.

It was Halloween and I was beyond excited.

It was current eight at night, which meant that it was time.

Twenty one years old and still loving it. I mean, who could say no to candy?

Unless you don't like candy.

But I was dressed up and ready to go scare little kids and get some candy.

Eli was getting dressed also. He told me that Naomi was coming with us and we were roaming the streets at night while everyone else trick or treated.

Plus we might stop at some houses along the way. I want candy and if I have to steal some from a kid, then I would.

Probably not but we'll see how tonight goes.

I'm going as a skeleton. I have the tight, black outfit with bones on it and my face was painted like a skull. I did it all myself and it honestly looks great.

Eli was going as a zombie and Naomi was going as a dead bride, which was really cool.

Naomi wanted to meet us at Eli's house but Eli instantly told her that we could meet at the Cafe then walk the streets.

I overheard the conversation and I couldn't help but shake my head. I told him that he needed to tell her and he said he was, but I doubt it and it's eventually going to get a lot worse.

I'm not going to be there when it all blows up in his face.

Grabbing a drink from the fridge, I saw Eli walk in and I smiled at him as he looked really cool. I looked him up and down before taking a sip of my drink and smiling. "Looking good."

"Not too scary?"

He had his hair all over the place, his clothes were ripped and he put fake blood basically all over him. He looked really cool and it was actually a little terrifying.

"If you came running after me at night, I'd scream and run away."

I watch as he smiles before jumping at me. "Ah!"

It didn't make me jump.

"Cute."

He shrugs as I was taking a sip of my drink. I watch as his phone made a noise then he pulls it from his pants and looks at it. "Ok, Naomi is on her way. Said she's about ten minutes from the Cafe."

"Let's go get some candy!" I yelled.

Mom told us to be careful and not frighten little kids. I laughed and Eli did too, but mom didn't find it funny.